Links to articles about Douglas Fir.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is your tree in pumic & where are you located? Where was the tree collected? Glad to find some else invested in this species.

Mostly pumice for the one I mentioned. I've had them in a few other things. I feel like they've been happier in the past when I used more organic components. Never tried akadama, I've never even seen the stuff, wouldn't mind trying it though.
I live in the cold side of British Columbia, zone 3 more or less.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ok I will take that in consideration when placing in the yard. This tree came from Colorado.
If it's from Colorado, then it's a Rocky Mountain Douglas Fir (var. glauca) and it should be quite cold tolerant. I collected one this year from around 11,000'. It's an alpine environment.

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Topic of interest even though I guess it's too hot here, try web of science

Webofknowledge.com

Here is what I could find:

21c8oz6.jpg

If this is the kind of info you're looking for then you can create an account for free using university IP address over wifi, most will allow guest use. Now I can log in anywhere but I had to make my account at my university. It has been really useful in some situations

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Topic of interest even though I guess it's too hot here, try web of science

Webofknowledge.com

Here is what I could find:

21c8oz6.jpg

If this is the kind of info you're looking for then you can create an account for free using university IP address over wifi, most will allow guest use. Now I can log in anywhere but I had to make my account at my university. It has been really useful in some situations
Thank you.

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Also, sorting by number of times a paper is cited often provides more useful and significant studies.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can you share a photo of your tree

Sure, snapped a couple pics just now, I'll weed any minute now I promise. Next year for sure. It did not open a bud for 2 years, about 6 buds barely grew last year and decent growth from about 10 buds this year with backbudding forming everywhere now. image.jpg

Here's another, my biggest, collected and recovered very well by year 3. Then repot, massive taproot shortened, full bareroot into mostly pumice. That very nearly killed it, 3 years later now and finally picking up steam again, whew. image.jpg

This little guy, 3 year progress here which I'm satisfied with although last year had issues. Had this one the longest, collected in 2002 or 2003. First tree I ever collected. Hopefully a couple more years it'll look much better. image.jpg

image.jpg

And I've got more, it's been a few years since I last collected one.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can definitely take my time. This is the tree in it's current condition. Should make it to Chicago in August. Will sit in it box till it is strong and healthy.

Rare and dandy tree:eek:! Very worthy of great effort! Not many like this in hobby yet. Saw a couple good ones at Randy Knights place once. Also Ryans. Have personal tree volunteer seedling about 12 years old now. Has been grown in Wee Tree mix since. Drains freely and gets much H2O in summer(and Spring, Fall, Winter:p) and regular fertilizing. Still working on figuring foliage/ramification:confused:?

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score

27 min mark. Ryan demos and Douglas Fir & talks ramification, energy, and development.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Sure, snapped a couple pics just now, I'll weed any minute now I promise. Next year for sure. It did not open a bud for 2 years, about 6 buds barely grew last year and decent growth from about 10 buds this year with backbudding forming everywhere now. View attachment 152812

Here's another, my biggest, collected and recovered very well by year 3. Then repot, massive taproot shortened, full bareroot into mostly pumice. That very nearly killed it, 3 years later now and finally picking up steam again, whew. View attachment 152814

This little guy, 3 year progress here which I'm satisfied with although last year had issues. Had this one the longest, collected in 2002 or 2003. First tree I ever collected. Hopefully a couple more years it'll look much better. View attachment 152816

View attachment 152817

And I've got more, it's been a few years since I last collected one.
Has to be an amazing experience collecting.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I am going to keep updating this thread with the information I find. Hopefully sooner than later.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Outside of Ryan Neil's Mirai live, I am not finding great solid info.

Wow, looks like a really cool tree! Unfortunately, I don't think there's a ton of info out there on Doug Fir for Bonsai, but they have great characteristics for Bonsai and their popularity will continue to rise. As you already know, you can continue to learn about Elongating trees and train in a similar manner from Mirai Live. Good luck, excited to see the trees progress.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Wow, looks like a really cool tree! Unfortunately, I don't think there's a ton of info out there on Doug Fir for Bonsai, but they have great characteristics for Bonsai and their popularity will continue to rise. As you already know, you can continue to learn about Elongating trees and train in a similar manner from Mirai Live. Good luck, excited to see the trees progress.
This is the starting point, already have reached out to Todd Schlafer of First Branch Bonsai. https://www.facebook.com/todd.schlafer

He will be a great resource.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Hopefully more info comes via Mirai live.

Top Bottom