Liquid Amber Ideas

Wilko

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently acquired this liquid amber and I am planning on cutting it down to around 18" in the spring and also working on the roots. I will also be moving it into a training pot.
I am aiming for a classic broom style bonsai but have limited experience and would like other peoples opinions before I make the big chop!!

Cheers,

Wilko.

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 45

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There's a lot of trunk in there...I'd seriously consider doing a layer, then I'd have two trunks to work with. Actually, you could probably get several layers out of this - if you layer it fairly low next year (just above where you are planning to chop). Then once that layer is established on its own roots you can layer it again and get a third tree. Of course, this all depends on what that trunk really looks like (it's hard to tell) and whether you are willing to wait another year before starting to work on the broom from the lower part of the trunk.

Speaking of which...how are the roots on that thing? Nursery stock often comes with bad roots so you might eventually have to ground layer to deal with that, so keep that in mind when you plan the height of the chop.

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
There's a lot of trunk in there...I'd seriously consider doing a layer, then I'd have two trunks to work with. Actually, you could probably get several layers out of this - if you layer it fairly low next year (just above where you are planning to chop). Then once that layer is established on its own roots you can layer it again and get a third tree. Of course, this all depends on what that trunk really looks like (it's hard to tell) and whether you are willing to wait another year before starting to work on the broom from the lower part of the trunk.

Speaking of which...how are the roots on that thing? Nursery stock often comes with bad roots so you might eventually have to ground layer to deal with that, so keep that in mind when you plan the height of the chop.
I agree, you could easily get two or three trees from that by air layering.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Nice trunk
I think about 18 inches for your chop, with a goal of a final height around 4 feet tall would be great. Liquid Amber work better as a larger size bonsai. Try to reduce them to shohin sizes and their slightly coarse branching and larger leaves become a problem.

Myself, I'm not getting younger, while you could make air layers, if the material is relatively common in your area, I would just prune away, and not take the time for an air layer. But I'm 64 years old and feeling my age today.

Top Bottom