Looking for a new project!

sully

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello so i am new to bonsai i am on my second specimen. my first unfortunately was a mallsai. Which died. I then created my current tree from a juniper shrub from home depot and i believe its at a point where its thriving and up until autumn when i will most likely wire it, there really isn't much to do except water it.

BUT i am addicted!! so i am looking into a new project. I'm in Miami Florida i have a small outdoor space in front of my house that faces west.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Being in Florida, you have a very wide pool of tree varieties to select from. Lucky you. :)

Good luck!

sully

Seedling
Reaction score
Being in Florida, you have a very wide pool of tree varieties to select from. Lucky you. :)

Good luck!

im looking for specimens that arent too big, the space i have is limited and i don't really want to have a big tree with a big heavy pot. Any suggestions for small trees that are a bit faster growers than junipers?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My favorites that are good in your area are; elm, boxwood, buttonwood, bougainvillae, and neea buxifolia

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Don't forget Ficus. You should be able to grow them outdoors 100% of the year in Miami.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Don't forget Ficus. You should be able to grow them outdoors 100% of the year in Miami.

I debated about ficus and (for me) it is not nearly as nice to work on as the ones I listed. I'd work with a Brazilian Raintree instead. :)

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
I think you should visit a bonsai nursery and see what catches your eye. Most good ones will have some real nice (expensive) trees as well as plenty of inexpensive pre-bonsai to choose from. The species suggestions above should all be pretty easy to keep alive down in Miami.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My favorite tropical tree is the Brazilian rain tree. Your climate is perfect for them. I bet any bonsai nursery around you will have one. The two I have actually came from Florida. I would have many more but I don't have room for them in the house in the winter.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I think you should visit a bonsai nursery and see what catches your eye. Most good ones will have some real nice (expensive) trees as well as plenty of inexpensive pre-bonsai to choose from. The species suggestions above should all be pretty easy to keep alive down in Miami.

Visit Miami Tropical Bonsai http://www.miamitropicalbonsai.com/

sully

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks to all!

So after looking up some of the ones you guys mentioned, i decided the best choice was to go out and look at them in person. I went to the only bonsai nursery in South Florida. And here it is

Attachments

• 20140518_123428.jpg
    20140518_123428.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 24

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So after looking up some of the ones you guys mentioned, i decided the best choice was to go out and look at them in person. I went to the only bonsai nursery in South Florida. And here it is

Wow I am surprised by that. I thought there would be lots to choose from there.

Is that an elm? If so, very forgiving tree and one of the best for beginners IMHO. It may shock you but I will chop that tree like one of these if it were mine.

Good luck!

Attachments

• 20140518_123428a.jpg
    20140518_123428a.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 19
  • 20140518_123428b.jpg
    20140518_123428b.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 22

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Later, you may also airlayer at trunk mid-point. :D

Sorry I am bad this way. LOL

sully

Seedling
Reaction score
Wow I am surprised by that. I thought there would be lots to choose from there.

Is that an elm? If so, very forgiving tree and one of the best for beginners IMHO. It may shock you but I will chop that tree like one of these if it were mine.

Good luck!

wow those cuts seem pretty radical. then again i am a beginner so i don't really see the benefit of it. What would be the purpose, or long term look, if i did so?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
wow those cuts seem pretty radical. then again i am a beginner so i don't really see the benefit of it. What would be the purpose, or long term look, if i did so?

It has to do with the "flow". As it is, you have a whorl where 3 branches originate from within the same vicinity...it doesn't look good then most likely will become a problem later (reverse taper).

Your straight trunk also continued on and it is not pleasing to the eye. The trunk is very long w/o any movement. Unless you are shooting for a formal upright or broom this is not ideal. Either of those 2 styles, your branches still need to be "fixed" if you opt to go with them.

My comment about airlayering is serious. Though it is a more advanced technique...it really is very simple. Done right, you can end up with 2 better trees in just a few months (well, the start at least).

Good luck!

sully

Seedling
Reaction score
i think i will end up removing the branch in the middle the one you said in the picture. i am going for a formal upright so i don't think the air layering is the way to go for me. i definitely will think about it. i just bought this tree so i am not sure i am ready for such a big change. maybe next growing season! i want to give the tree some time see where its going to go and then make big decisions.

sully

Seedling
Reaction score
Wise move. I agree. :)

i think i am going to leave all the branches and go with a broom style. i looked up old broom style elms and i fell in love lol. I am thinking of getting another tree for the sole purpose of doing my first air layering!

Top Bottom