Looking for Amur Maple

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think the first one is ginnala.

Second one is ginnala.

There are a few ginnala varients also.

I am currently composing an article on tridents and the sub species. I currently grow about five varieties of buergerianum. The first link looks an aweful lot like a trident to me.

My article will consist of pruning techniques to induce twigs and dense ramification as well as chops and branches. Hope it will be of some use to people with this almost perfect species for bonsai.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yea the bark is just not trident. I am amazed at the diversity of maple species.

Chek this out.

The right half of the tree is nearly disectum foliage, while the left corner is palmatum.

weird.....

Attachments

• DSC_00050005.JPG
    DSC_00050005.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 44
  • DSC_00060006.JPG
    DSC_00060006.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC_000100011.JPG
    DSC_000100011.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC_000200021.JPG
    DSC_000200021.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 44

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pictures! Why are there never any pictures? This is a thread about maples in spring, and nobody can seem to post any pictures of a maple in spring. You guys even have a camera?

25 posts and not one picture of a maple!!!!!!!

BonsaiRic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ginnala are great trees!! Got several from Brent Walston back in 2005. They were the thickness of a pencil.

acerginnala2a rs.jpg

As the tree got larger I performed several thread grafts to improve nebari by drilling through the trunk and threading seedlings through. It worked extremely well:

acerginnala2iBt.jpg

acerginnala2n.jpg

acerginnala2o.jpg

Trunk diameter at the nebri level is approx. 6" as of today.

0402111523a.jpg

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Let's see what the top looks like on your maple. Thanks. I still think the two pics of amur bonsai posted here are ok, but not really that great... maybe that's all you get with Amur maple.

BonsaiRic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Davetree,

I spent the first 6 years (fall of 2005 to last fall) developing the nebari and trunk thickness. All this was done by potting the tree in increasing diameter pots each year with the last two years in a grow box with a mesh bottom. This spring I made my final trunk chop to establish more taper. My top growth this year will be very coarse as I'm going for callous formation on the chop and trunk growth on the next portion of taper. Obviously I'm not anywhere close on canopy refinement. Several years out I'll hopefully have some refinement to show. I'll try to take some fresh pics soon and update this thread.

I have another smaller ginnala in training in a shallow wood grow box that has some natural refinement. I'll try to get some pictures of it as well.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
For variety I guess. I already have a couple of tridents. Thanks for your help! :)

For the time being, if you know where there are some in landscapes, you could harvest some seed this fall and grow your own. Around here they seem to be quite common in shopping mall landscapes and I have several examples of the tree I have grown using this method from this source. You can just pick them up of the ground if you cannot get permission to pick right from the tree. You might also check some landscape nurseries and see if they have them or information about where you could get one.

Last edited:

BonsaiRic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
1st pic shows final approach graft for nebari improvement. (Yellow arrow pointing to sapling for graft)

100_4605.jpg

Blue circle shows the shoot for the new trunk section just above this year's trunk chop. The red circle shows the shoot for a future secondary branch.

100_4608virt.jpg

This is the front of the tree. Closeup of nebari. The large scar is one year old and should heal quickly.
100_4609.jpg

Left side of the tree.
100_4611.jpg

Right side of the tree.
100_4612.jpg

Last edited:

BonsaiRic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is my smaller Acer ginnala in a shallow, wooden training box. It has fairly fine branching without any foliage reduction techniques.
100_4616.jpg

100_4625.jpg

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here's an Amur maple at last year's Michigan All-State Bonsai exhibition. Not too shabby, I suppose.

amur1.JPG
amur2.JPG
amurnebari.JPG

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Pictures! Why are there never any pictures? This is a thread about maples in spring, and nobody can seem to post any pictures of a maple in spring. You guys even have a camera?

25 posts and not one picture of a maple!!!!!!!

FINE!!!! :p :p pictures in bound.....

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So I mentioned I have several ginnala .... figured it only fair to post pics of the larger one .... I may be overly critical but I think it still needs some work.... (taken earlier today)

Amur_Maple52012.jpg

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Notice how when I bitch a little I get some pictures. And they say Obama is the most powerful man in the world....Hah!

Thanks to all of you that took the time to post some pictures of maples being worked on.

Thanks Ric, nice nebari on that one.

Thanks for the pic from Michigan Alex.

Eric, nice tree. Rugged trunk. I see you feel it needs more work and I agree. Only with the main canopy though. I would like to see a little more breadth...just too narrow and upright for me, but it will be killer wth some more work.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Notice how when I bitch a little I get some pictures. And they say Obama is the most powerful man in the world....Hah!
you are indeed a powerful man!!!

Eric, nice tree. Rugged trunk. I see you feel it needs more work and I agree. Only with the main canopy though. I would like to see a little more breadth...just too narrow and upright for me, but it will be killer wth some more work.

thank you very much .... and I feel the same exact way needs to be wider on the right to spread that canopy out ... been working on getting the right most branch to move down .... and with any luck that bud on the right will pop..... might also grow a sacrifice out for a thread graft .... SOOO close!!

mholt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm a couple years in with my Amurs. Picked up some discounted end of season amurs at a big box nursery for cheap in fall of 09. I've just been working on the trunks. I've been letting shoots go for awhile and then I cut them back to try to add some rugged bumpiness along the trunk and to increase certain areas. I'll probably start selecting sub-trunks and primary branches soon while I continue the apex. They've been fun to develop so far as they grow like weeds and tend to throw new growth everywhere. I can't say anything about refinement stages yet, as I haven't arrived at that point yet. Cool tree, Eric! Nice nebari development, BonsaiRic! I might have to ask you for some grafting pointers down the road!amur2_4-30-12b.jpg

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Can you show a picture of a good amur maple bonsai ? I have never ever seen a really good one, the branches are stiff looking and don't ramify well. I also have a huge (8-9" trunk) stump of one if anybody is interested ....

I am sure this is a long shot...but still looking to get rid of that big stump 8 years later? :) 😂

Top Bottom