Looking for inspiration with a silver birch.

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In all seriousness @Forsoothe! is right. I DID do photography both as a hobby and semi-professionally for some years and you do need a focal point in art. Maybe 2 sometimes. But you can't have too many things going on. Which is why I'm going to simplify the design somewhat.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
i would keep the main trunk as is, somewhat upright. i wouldnt reduce the height of the live branch, but carry on training it up as a trunk that was originally a thick branch that grew off the main trunk after the main trunk suffered major trauma, thousands of such trees all over the UK landscape.
IMG_4512 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

here's an example a hornbeam from another forum

IMG_8322 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

mother nature is the best teacher

Attachments

• IMG_7833.JPG
    IMG_7833.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
i would keep the main trunk as is, somewhat upright. i wouldnt reduce the height of the live branch, but carry on training it up as a trunk that was originally a thick branch that grew off the main trunk after the main trunk suffered major trauma, thousands of such trees all over the UK landscape.
IMG_4512 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

here's an example a hornbeam from another forum
Great photo! I will start with the whole thing. If it doesn't work out I will chop. But your photo makes a great point. I have not even considered planting the trunk straight. But I will!

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Boy, these "stick in pot" threads sure show up unexpectedly. :p

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just an update on how it is currently looking. The photo shows the new front. Will be turning the tree to match the front. Thoughts and ideas are always welcome.

I like it! With a tree whose redeeming feature is its bark, it seemed like a shame to hide it on the back. I have one of these that I was going to continue training in the pot that I bought it in, but I am considering ground-growing as a means of developing silver bark. I will be keeping an eye on your thread!

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I like it! With a tree whose redeeming feature is its bark, it seemed like a shame to hide it on the back. I have one of these that I was going to continue training in the pot that I bought it in, but I am considering ground-growing as a means of developing silver bark. I will be keeping an eye on your thread!
Thanks @luvinthemountains I am pretty pleased with it. Considering what it was like when I bought it. It was one of the first trees I worked on. (Still a noob!)

Top Bottom