Looking for J'inspiration

Sephiro

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Hey nuts!
I have recently gotten my hands on my new favorite tree, a larch yamadori!
Said tree is early in development, and there is one feature on the back that I am entirely unsure how to attack. I've created jins before, but never with a stump of this magnitude. Just wondering if you guys have any experience or elegant ways of going about shaping it. Pictures for inspiration would be awesome!
I've gotten my hands on a rotary (dremel off brand)
Here is the stump in question:

Attachments

• stump 5.jpg
    stump 5.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 87
  • stump4.jpg
    stump4.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 68
  • stump3.jpg
    stump3.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 61
  • stump2.jpg
    stump2.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 60
  • stump1.jpg
    stump1.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 71

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
There's as many possible jin designs as there are bonsai growers.
You could reduce it completely and hollow the cut to create uro but seems hardly worth it when it can't be seen.
Make a short fat pointed jin. Just needs to be uneven, not sharpened like a pencil, to look more natural.
Larger branches like this one offer the opportunity to split the branch into 2 or more sections by carving deeper down the centre. Again make one side shorter to make it look more natural.
Here's one I prepared earlier. Still early stages of the carving in the second photo but should serve to show carving some of the centre away to create 2 smaller ends.
IMGP9069.JPGIMGP9072.JPG

an olive. The jin is almost centre here and was previously the main trunk of the tree.
IMGP5366.JPG

You may find the rotary tool frustratingly slow to remove wood. I know I do. Great for finer and detailed work but not great for hogging out lots of wood.

Sephiro

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
There's as many possible jin designs as there are bonsai growers.
You could reduce it completely and hollow the cut to create uro but seems hardly worth it when it can't be seen.
Make a short fat pointed jin. Just needs to be uneven, not sharpened like a pencil, to look more natural.
Larger branches like this one offer the opportunity to split the branch into 2 or more sections by carving deeper down the centre. Again make one side shorter to make it look more natural.
Here's one I prepared earlier. Still early stages of the carving in the second photo but should serve to show carving some of the centre away to create 2 smaller ends.
View attachment 449169View attachment 449170

an olive. The jin is almost centre here and was previously the main trunk of the tree.
View attachment 449171

You may find the rotary tool frustratingly slow to remove wood. I know I do. Great for finer and detailed work but not great for hogging out lots of wood.
Hey! Thanks for the response. And I appreciate the example, gives me an idea of what’s possible. And yes, first time using the rotary blew my mind with the speed or lack there of. What did you use to remove the larger mass before refining?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I also have an arbortech mini carving wheel on an angle grinder. It can be a bit hard to get into tight spots but it certainly chops out some wood.
There are also wood carving bits available for die grinders. That's like your rotary tool on steroids but they do seem to be harder to find as it isn't something that many home handy persons use. Check out Samurai bonsai carving tools to see one range. I know there are other makers too but can't think of names now.

Some people prefer the extra control of hand carving. With really good sharp tools it is possible to remove lots of wood but I haven't been down that path.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
After watching many hours of people creating deadwood on youtube and looking at deadwood in nature and lots of trial n error, some I did on a Taxus. Ive used carving tools in the past, but this was mostly by hand after watching Ryan neil use branch splitters and knob cutters then peel away slivers of wood on a Pine I think it was. Bjorn has some good jin videos too, I keep telling people youtube is your friend😉

you could also hollow them out, I always think carving or deadwood advice is tricky to convey in words. Im visual, I get more out of watching people actually do the work😊

Attachments

• 37138056000_cb04e291db_b (1).jpg
    37138056000_cb04e291db_b (1).jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 23859724748_34d5e5d4c5_b.jpg
    23859724748_34d5e5d4c5_b.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20200903_173728 (1).jpg
    20200903_173728 (1).jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 20200903_174356.jpg
    20200903_174356.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 38

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm wholely anti-tool....well.....

I'd sooner make a "jin plier" from a beaver skull than plug something in.

Ought wait till it's frozen in the pot for root safety before using anything..... except mushrooms, you should think about it all summer on something!

Time and Nature Time and Nature.

Sorce

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Inset, a hollow jin on a real taxus tree, not a larch but doesnt matter. for the first part, again I used knob cutters/branch splitters then pliers to pull away slivers, the next step would be hollowing out of that stub and taking off the straight square edge.
You can learn a lot from real trees, I know I keep saying this everywhere😉
Screenshot_20220730-104657_Chrome.jpg

ps make sure tree is firmly secured in pot before carrying out heavy work.
I dont see any foliage on your tree, is it even healthy?
Ive killed a fair few conifers, but usually was my rootwork that did it.

I wont be posting anymore images, its time consuming, youll have to put in some work, the resources are out there.

Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I forget the name but there is a book about doing carving. I own the damn thing...just can't remember atm...lol

Sephiro

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Inset, a hollow jin on a real taxus tree, not a larch but doesnt matter. for the first part, again I used knob cutters/branch splitters then pliers to pull away slivers, the next step would be hollowing out of that stub and taking off the straight square edge.
You can learn a lot from real trees, I know I keep saying this everywhere😉
View attachment 449275

ps make sure tree is firmly secured in pot before carrying out heavy work.
I dont see any foliage on your tree, is it even healthy?
Ive killed a fair few conifers, but usually was my rootwork that did it.

I wont be posting anymore images, its time consuming, youll have to put in some work, the resources are out there.
Thanks for the input, suggestions and pictures! Yes there is foliage, I just didn’t include it. Here’s the whole tree.
Appreciate the suggestions!

Attachments

• 0326D1BC-5236-45E1-9E04-269FAC6867B2.jpeg
    0326D1BC-5236-45E1-9E04-269FAC6867B2.jpeg
    240.2 KB · Views: 38

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thats a good tree, i'd take my time and gather up as much information until your confident you can do the work. Graham potter, Bjorn, Ryan neil all have great videos on YT.

Sephiro

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
After watching many hours of people creating deadwood on youtube and looking at deadwood in nature and lots of trial n error, some I did on a Taxus. Ive used carving tools in the past, but this was mostly by hand after watching Ryan neil use branch splitters and knob cutters then peel away slivers of wood on a Pine I think it was. Bjorn has some good jin videos too, I keep telling people youtube is your friend😉

you could also hollow them out, I always think carving or deadwood advice is tricky to convey in words. Im visual, I get more out of watching people actually do the work😊
Thanks for the advice! Definitely going to take my time and learn/practice before digging in!

Sephiro

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Thats a good tree, i'd take my time and gather up as much information until your confident you can do the work. Graham potter, Bjorn, Ryan neil all have great videos on YT.
Thanks for the advice! I was planning on just practicing on some stumps of 2x4 or random deadwood I find to get an idea/feel and some practice.

Sephiro

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
I'm wholely anti-tool....well.....

I'd sooner make a "jin plier" from a beaver skull than plug something in.

Ought wait till it's frozen in the pot for root safety before using anything..... except mushrooms, you should think about it all summer on something!

Time and Nature Time and Nature.

Sorce
Thanks for the wise poetic words sorce. Definitely going to wait, ponder and sketch, before channeling my inner beaver

SgtPilko

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not sure what you have available where you are but in the UK we have these quite pricey but effective nibbler/terrier style bits for removing larger quantities of material - quite vicious but controllable! Best to wear some eye protection.

I am a carving novice too, I think practising lots on some scrap wood is a good idea, also when you do work on the tree do it in stages and come back multiple times as there is no rush, you can refine it gradually and see how it weathers. I have only done rough work so far and no detailing. For me it is important to know when to stop, I have done jins that I regret messing with too much, you can always take more off later but you can't stick it back on :)

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Most wise advice😌. Wrenching/wresting against root system can be disastrous:oops:. Look to nature for inspiration so does not look phony/man made.

Top Bottom