looking for samurai carving tool/Dale Cochoy

santaklaus

Seed
Reaction score
At one time I had Dale Cochoy's email address for the purpose of ordering a samurai carving tool. The address is no longer valid. Can anyone advise me how to get in touch with him? Or where in the USA I can buy samurai tools?

Reaction score
Here's his phone & e-mail:

[EDIT]Please don't put personal contact info on the forums. We don't want spam bots to pick it up - or for it to show up in Google. Instead send the person a Private Message that is for their eyes only. - BNut [/EDIT]

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
FWIW, and depending on the size of wood you're carving, he sold me some tri-cut rotary bits that I have found to be VERY effective for a much lower price than the samurai. The smaller bit has a 1/8" shank that works on a Dremel. (looks like these, but buy from Dale!). Between it on a Roto Zip with a flex shaft, and a larger bit with a 1/4" shank, they handle everything I need to carve with power tools. He also had Percival and Lancelot tools that I've used and they are pretty good.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I can tell you the Samurai is fast.... and large..... if you saw the thread of me flattening the base of the zelkova you know how big it is..... also its FAST.... I only use it on the large pieces I work on.... so if you aren't working on LARGE material you should get smaller bits....

hit Dale up and tell him what you are planning on working on.... and then listen to his suggestions... He's not out to sell you the most expensive tool.... but the most effective one.... and he knows what he is talking about....

just my .02 fwiw

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does sale have a website. I need something for bulk wood removal. I need a long cutter to get more depth. 1/8 or 1/4 shank is ok. I have machines for both. Looking to hollow out a trunk that's three inches deep.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
He's also on Facebook; http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wild-...mono-no-Kokoro-Bonsai-Pottery/315977808423603

As I said, I just spoke with him, and he gave me permission to share his contact information with the group. He wants to talk to you first if ordering anything to make sure he has it in stock, and give you whatever pertinent information he has on the tool. So far he has been a real nice guy, easy to deal with. He charges 6% (of your total order) for shipping, and an additional 6% if you are using a credit card. Lets all get carving!

Lancaster

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Dale is one of the best vendors to deal with. I agree that he will not try to upsell you just to make a profit. He will suggest the right tool you need for the job.
And his cutters/bits are great!

He usually vends at the Mid-Atlantic Bonsai Festival. It's coming up April 20-22 I believe. If your close enough to Harrisburg, PA,
you can hit him up there and save yourself some $$ on shipping!

-Troy

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I used the Terrier bit for my Makita this year for the first time, and I really love it (I bought it along with some other bits from Dale at last year's Spring Show at the National Arboretum). It cuts through even dense wood such as oak like butter. The samurai and ninja bits are pretty large if I remember correctly, so I went with the Terrier which I thought I could get more use out of and couldn't be happier. I used to try and reduce the base of trees using hand tools, but the Makita + Terrier makes that work so much easier.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I also bought a terrier bit from Dale for my Makita. It has really made life easier. Not only can you carve easily, but you can sculpt with these tools. I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Top Bottom