Looking for vending opportunities

Markp1964

Seedling
Reaction score
I am a bonsai Potter specializing in stoneware for shohin,mame and kusamono. I am based in Ohio.
I am looking for vending opportunities for 2023.
If you are a show chair or organizer,let me know.

Attachments

• 1120221242c.jpg
    1120221242c.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 1124221032b.jpg
    1124221032b.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 65
  • 1120221241b.jpg
    1120221241b.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 1120221205a.jpg
    1120221205a.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 1120221203a.jpg
    1120221203a.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 68

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nice work! I bet you'll find the opportunities you seek.

Gotta hang around a bit, thought

Folks around here are a community... And see MANY accounts made with only personal/financial gain in mind... So tend to not take these accounts SERIOUSLY at their "birth"..

Let's talk about your clays, firing, construction methods...

Also trees.... Do you grow trees/plants as well..

Tell us about yourself.

🤓

(EDIT:... I see you have been active since 2015, that's my bad, but still, tell us about yourself)

Markp1964

Seedling
Reaction score
Nice work! I bet you'll find the opportunities you seek.

Gotta hang around a bit, thought

Folks around here are a community... And see MANY accounts made with only personal/financial gain in mind... So tend to not take these accounts SERIOUSLY at their "birth"..

Let's talk about your clays, firing, construction methods...

Also trees.... Do you grow trees/plants as well..

Tell us about yourself.

🤓

(EDIT:... I see you have been active since 2015, that's my bad, but still, tell us about yourself)
Ive been growing bonsai for more than thirty years, and started messing with clay about 3 years ago. Clay is a very familiar material and clay and ceramic objects are something people interact with every day, it can be very surprising to work with clay and find out how unpredictable and complicated this commonplace stuff can be. IN some ways it’s exactly like bonsai, the clay can have a mind of its own just the way a live plant seems to!
My exploration of clay began specifically to make pots for bonsai, especially smaller size bonsai ( that is not an oxymoron, there are indeed miniature miniatures) as well as containers for the companion plants that are part of a traditional bonsai display –these are called kusamono( grass thing) and shitakusa (under grass) in Japanese. Ive also made some Japanese style tea vessels as well as orchid pots and general purpose plant pots and holders for moss balls that look suspiciously like soap dishes. Just because the container was intended for a miniature tree doesn’t mean it won’t look great with your cactus, succulent or pothos in it!
There are terms in Japanese that describe a certain aesthetic sense and reflect the Japanese notions of acceptance of change and the fleeting nature of life and beauty: wabi and sabi. I like the feeling of wabi and sabi that comes from handmade pieces such as I make. They have a rugged and organic feeling, and are clearly one of a kind and made by a person in a workshop, not an automated process in a factory. If you look, sometimes you will see the maker’s fingerprints still preserved in the fired clay.

I primarily make pots for shohin and mame bonsai because that's what I like to grow. I do not throw-my items are slab built or sometimes pinched. I always use stoneware and shop for clays that deliver great texture as well as frost-proofness. Folks have encouraged me/bullied me to work bigger, so I am trying. I have been a member of the Columbus Bonsai Society for as long as I have been growing bonsai. and am currently club president.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Ive been growing bonsai for more than thirty years, and started messing with clay about 3 years ago. Clay is a very familiar material and clay and ceramic objects are something people interact with every day, it can be very surprising to work with clay and find out how unpredictable and complicated this commonplace stuff can be. IN some ways it’s exactly like bonsai, the clay can have a mind of its own just the way a live plant seems to!
My exploration of clay began specifically to make pots for bonsai, especially smaller size bonsai ( that is not an oxymoron, there are indeed miniature miniatures) as well as containers for the companion plants that are part of a traditional bonsai display –these are called kusamono( grass thing) and shitakusa (under grass) in Japanese. Ive also made some Japanese style tea vessels as well as orchid pots and general purpose plant pots and holders for moss balls that look suspiciously like soap dishes. Just because the container was intended for a miniature tree doesn’t mean it won’t look great with your cactus, succulent or pothos in it!
There are terms in Japanese that describe a certain aesthetic sense and reflect the Japanese notions of acceptance of change and the fleeting nature of life and beauty: wabi and sabi. I like the feeling of wabi and sabi that comes from handmade pieces such as I make. They have a rugged and organic feeling, and are clearly one of a kind and made by a person in a workshop, not an automated process in a factory. If you look, sometimes you will see the maker’s fingerprints still preserved in the fired clay.

I primarily make pots for shohin and mame bonsai because that's what I like to grow. I do not throw-my items are slab built or sometimes pinched. I always use stoneware and shop for clays that deliver great texture as well as frost-proofness. Folks have encouraged me/bullied me to work bigger, so I am trying. I have been a member of the Columbus Bonsai Society for as long as I have been growing bonsai. and am currently club president.

Cool beans! Thank you!

I look forward to familiarizing myself with your clay work.

Thank you for sharing!

🤓

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the fact that you have several styles you are working on. That is fun, but you don't want to rush that idea to market.
Pick a style you are good at and comfortable with. Work that for awhile and then expand. I don't feel you should ever put work out there for the general population unless you feel "Right" about it. I put a few out there that I wish I could take back. Just my opinion my friend in pottery.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Glad you like the pots. Most days, I do too. Done days I think they are junk.

I got a kick out of this - because I can totally relate! Some days I think my pots are looking pretty good, some days I think mine are junk too. Glad to know someone out there is riding the same roller coaster! ;)

Yours look great, by the way.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I like the fact that you have several styles you are working on. That is fun, but you don't want to rush that idea to market.
Pick a style you are good at and comfortable with. Work that for awhile and then expand. I don't feel you should ever put work out there for the general population unless you feel "Right" about it. I put a few out there that I wish I could take back. Just my opinion my friend in pottery.
YES YES YES!!!

I had to "take a step back" for this, amongst other reasons.

I REALLY have to be comfortable with a piece to put it out there with my name on it.

As soon as a get a larger kiln, or it get's warm, I will be "hitting" it real hard.

I just can't fire in the winter.

Top Bottom