Looking to find a nursery in California

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
PROBABLY in central valley or on way from Sacto to Bay area.
PROBABLY. I can see it in my mind but can't remember where.

The main building has an open area on side and front.
Plants all around the building.
Small building in right rear of grounds.

Any help appreciated.

GUESSES are MAYBE .... Davis, Tracy, Dixon, Woodland, San Jose, Livermore, ???????

Driving me nuts. Here's a sketch as best I can do it.

Thanks in advance.

:)nursery.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I always love a good detective case, but this one is beyond me :) Do you know how many nurseries are in the Central Valley? California has 10% of the population of the entire nation! :eek:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Between Sac. and bay area your probably talking about Johnny Uchida's place. Grove Way nursery.
1239 Grove Way Hayward, CA 94541

Of course there is Maruyama's in Sac.
1423 47th Ave Sacramento, CA 95822

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the heart of the valley is Nee Hai Bonsai Nursery
3236 W Ashlan Ave Fresno, CA 93722

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I was thinking of Johny's place, but the store is a house, not like the drawing. Theres a little nursery between Petaluma and Cotati on Old Redwood Highway that is kind of like this.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
I was thinking of Johny's place, but the store is a house, not like the drawing. Theres a little nursery between Petaluma and Cotati on Old Redwood Highway that is kind of like this.
My old stomping grounds but don't remember one there. Just Sumigawa on Gravenstein Hwy leaving Cotati on the way to Sebastopol. And Lone Pine Garden in Sebastopol. Not to be missed!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
@Mike Corazzi what is it about the nursery that you like so much? Did it have a great selection of a certain category of plants? Was there something specific about it that can help people find it for you?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
@Mike Corazzi what is it about the nursery that you like so much? Did it have a great selection of a certain category of plants? Was there something specific about it that can help people find it for you?
They had quite a selection of pots and I didn't peruse them enough. :oops:

(I don't remember specifically BONSAI pots, but they had others that would serve.)

I DUNNO......thass why I'm tryna find my way back.

dpowell

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Sounds like Matsuda Bonsai Nursery in Newcastle. It's the other side of Sacramento (heading towards Tahoe, but before you get to Auburn).

When you enter there's a long drive way leads to an open area with a workshop on the left with an open front and a house on the right. Straight ahead is a path with trees that curves back and to the right and leads to a shade house with more trees.
Tons of huge pines around the workshop along with other trees.

Edit: Looks like it's just down the road from OP.

Top Bottom