Make the posts more readable

• Thread starter Deleted member 37373
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 37373

Do you have any bonsai trees?
Yes, I have one that I'm not entirely happy with. I am currently seeking knowledge where I can so I know what I can improve. I also go around the nurseries looking to see if there is any promising material.
Why do you ask?

It seems to me that several of you have taken it personally and as an oppressive question. That was not my intention. I put the post on the appropriate section. This is simply my day job for many years. I noticed a simple thing to fix and offered a solution. That's all about it.

For future reference, I won't bother submitting my ideas for improving the forum. If anything, you know where to find me.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
!yzarC ot emocleW

I learned recently that it's better to use your finger while reading, it helps you focus.

Sorce

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It seems to me that several of you have taken it personally and as an oppressive question. That was not my intention. I put the post on the appropriate section. This is simply my day job for many years. I noticed a simple thing to fix and offered a solution. That's all about it.
Apologies for needling you, then. I used to know a programmer/hacker who would have loved your avatar. He might have led with a similar suggestion too, for all I know.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes, I have one that I'm not entirely happy with. I am currently seeking knowledge where I can so I know what I can improve. I also go around the nurseries looking to see if there is any promising material.
Why do you ask?

For future reference, I won't bother submitting my ideas for improving the forum. If anything, you know where to find me.
Show us what you have, I'm sure we can provide some advice. Plenty of knowledgeable BNutter's here.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
As the old Chinese saying goes, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
My friend, it's not that I don't know how to insert a custom line into my CSS... it's because I don't want to :)

To force every user on this site to be limited to 80 char width, just because a single user finds it "tiring" and doesn't want to do anything that I suggest to address the concern, is tiring to me :) I am not belittling you or making fun of your suggestion... but I have decided otherwise. Consider me a knowledgeable, albeit stubborn, horse.

In the meantime, I really want to talk with someone from Poland about their trees :) I don't want you to consider this a hostile environment :) Mano šeima yra iš Lietuvos :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
To force every user on this site to be limited to 80 char width, just because a single user finds it "tiring". . .
Just because he's the only one that has mentioned it here doesn't mean he's the only one. I also find it more difficult to read websites that span text across the entire page. When you look at most modern sites you'll see the width of the actual text is almost always limited. It's been common practice for more than a decade because research says it's less tiring. Decreasing window size works, but increasing the font size doesn't significantly change how far your eyes have to move from one side to the other with each line.

It seems to be less commonly used in the forum format, though. I'm not pushing for anything, just saying the idea is a valid suggestion - even if people are making fun of him for it.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Just because he's the only one that has mentioned it here doesn't mean he's the only one. I also find it more difficult to read websites that span text across the entire page. When you look at most modern sites you'll see the width of the actual text is almost always limited. It's been common practice for more than a decade because research says it's less tiring. Decreasing window size works, but increasing the font size doesn't significantly change how far your eyes have to move from one side to the other with each line.

It seems to be less commonly used in the forum format, though. I'm not pushing for anything, just saying the idea is a valid suggestion - even if people are making fun of him for it.

It's not that it isn't a valid concern. It's that to suggest that the site has to adopt a fixed maximum width because a few people don't want to use windowed mode in their browser, doesn't fly for me. Sorry.

In order to admin this site, I have two 4K monitors. I often have six windows, or more, open across both monitors. I can have an admin window open, a cPanel window, an FTP window open, the site open, etc. Even now I have two windows open on my main monitor - the site and Google search console.

What is the big deal that you can't press a single button to display a web browser in a window... versus having the same site display full screen with a column of blank space on each side of the text block? Am I missing something? Even now I am clicking back and forth to try to discern the problem... and I can't see it. Windowed... and you see your desktop to either side of the window. Fixed width 80 char... and you see the green background of the text block. Difference being... ?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's that to suggest that the site has to adopt a fixed maximum width because a few people don't want to use windowed mode in their browser, doesn't fly for me. Sorry.
That's fine. It's your site and you get to make it the way you want it. Like I said, I'm really not pushing you to make changes.

Emanon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
please change [...] so that the text is more readable because now it is difficult to read the forum [...].
G-d forbid you have to put effort into reading... Let me guess...you're a millennial or younger? I'm old enough to remember when books were made of actual paper (made from trees) and you had to physically carry the pages containing the text around. Like you'd have to lift actual lbs. of weight if you wanted to read. Not to mention you had to lift your hand and turn the page to continue your sentence sometimes. You're seriously complaining that you have to move your eyes all the way from one side of your screen to the other?
Long lines make the reader more tired [...]
Oh no, can't get tired reading :-(

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Why do you ask?

Asking because this was unusual for a first day, first post topic. It’s a good place to discuss bonsai with enthusiasts all over the world. Welcome, hope you can get by with the layout.😂

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Quick fix: please change the maximum width of the post's container so that the text is more readable because now it is difficult to read the forum on larger resolutions.

This can be done by adding one line in CSS:
max-width: 80ch;

I know that empty space on a website can be encouraging to “use”, but for better readability a column of text should be no wider than 45-80 characters (they say 66 is perfect). Such typography rules ;)
Long lines make the reader more tired and it's easier to lose the next line, making the eye jump to the wrong one or, for example, read the same line again.
You do realize that because the site uses fluid width, you can just resize your browser window and get whatever line length you prefer, right?

Hard-coding the character width in CSS is a net negative for accessibility and reduces users' control. If you're so inclined and knowledgeable, you can easily set up your own user stylesheet and make the site look like whatever you want.

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You do realize that because the site uses fluid width, you can just resize your browser window and get whatever line length you prefer, right?

Hard-coding the character width in CSS is a net negative for accessibility and reduces users' control. If you're so inclined and knowledgeable, you can easily set up your own user stylesheet and make the site look like whatever you want.

The OP is long gone. Even though I reached out with a personal message, he felt I was responsible for a hostile reaction, and was trying to "justify" negative behavior.

Gotta love those graphic design majors stuck in the print layout world of 2000. Heaven help them when 8K displays roll out.

displays.jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yea just like those web design majors that always want to redesign your website for you

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you for keeping this site fluid design, as per industry holy-grail standards.
You should trust me on this. I had a succesfull webdesign compagny in the time fixed-width and tables were the only way to format. This is MUCH better and easier fior users to adjust the screen as they want.

I hate to scroll so use full screen viewing with more posts in view.

Top Bottom