Maples

FOX7591

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have a question

there are over 100 different varieties of maples and i and challenging myslef to get a hold of a s much different species as i can find and develop them into bonsai.

does anyone know of the rarest or hard to find maples?

ive found a kirosimo (not sure of spelling ide have to find it in an encyclopidia) atr a bonsai nursery that originated from an imported maple from japan, its 16

is this one hard to find?

i am interested in maples and am excited to start collecting all the different kninds

thanks

Reaction score
Actually I think there is over 1000 different cultivars of japanese maple itself. Check out worldplants.com, they have loads of cultivars, though they are grafted quite high, they can be air layered.

emk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I just ordered 3 different varieties of Japanese Maple from Forest Farm. I'll let you know what I think of them when they get here. I ordered a Hedge Maple and a Trident Maple from Evergreen Gardenworks last spring and they are doing very well this year.

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Get a copy of Japanese Maples by JD Vertrees. Great reference book on Japanese maples with lots of cultivar specific info. There are 16 pages in the index alone!

emk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Just reporting about what I got from Forest Farm. One of the odd things they do is ask for "substitutes" in case they don't have one of the things you ask for. I guess that must happen pretty regularly since I ended up not getting one of my maples (they sub'ed in a much less cool plant for my wife instead). One of the maples was pretty crispy and the other wasn't much better. With good watering they should recover, but I would be careful ordering during the hotter summer months. One of the maples was about 3' tall, the other about 18" (both were tied to a thin stake to keep them upright), but both had pencil-thin trunks. The roots aren't very well established in their pots, which is probably another contributing factor to why they arrive so thirsty.

Overall, they have a very nice selection, but I felt that the plants I got from Evergreen Gardenworks were much healthier. (I had ordered about twice as many plants and they arrived in a smaller package than the one I got from Forest Farm, but the whole thing was packaged better to retain moisture...even if I did have to be careful untangling one plant from another.)

Tiberious

Yamadori
Reaction score
Forest Farm has always been hit or miss with me. I have had both healthy and nearly dead plants. The problems with the unhealthy ones, was root rot and needle blight. Fortunately I was able to save the JBP by changing the soil and pruning the black roots, took over a year to start growing again. I have always recieved good and healthy stock from Brent. Forest Farm has an unbeatable selection, Brent has the best prebonsai stock.

Top Bottom