Maples!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Man, is there anything prettier then a Japanese maple right after it starts to grow in the spring? These two are the best I've got right now, and I can't wait until they are more developed ala the maples of Mach 5 and BVF. Here's to hoping they get there!

Attachments

• DSCF3189.jpg
    DSCF3189.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 194
  • DSCF3193.jpg
    DSCF3193.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 373

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah, that first one is really great. Nothing better....than those leaves!

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
2nd maple need attention on the left branch. It has a bad reverse taper due to clump of branches.

Bonsai_Bubba

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I got a quick question about maples. Here's mine (obviously quite a bit more raw than some of the others in this thread :] )

XJZFlkhl.jpg

It's not doing as well as I'd like. It leafed out inconveniently before the weather broke, so I protected it in a 40F greenhouse. Unfortunately, my heater shut off and some of the leaves were damaged, look like crispy fried little suckers. I didn't repot this year as I didn't catch it in time - it's been in this small pot for at least two years, quite possibly longer, and I'm worried about it becoming root bound. Should I slip pot it now into a larger pot, wait until Fall and repot it or not worry about it until next year?

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Is that first one any specific cultivar? The leaves look just like the one I have. I just got my first bit of new leaves after chopping and I feel your excitement!

Attachments

• 20140404_182434.jpg
    20140404_182434.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 20140404_182515.jpg
    20140404_182515.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 66

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Man, is there anything prettier then a Japanese maple right after it starts to grow in the spring? These two are the best I've got right now, and I can't wait until they are more developed ala the maples of Mach 5 and BVF. Here's to hoping they get there!

Very nice Dave! Like them both. They're looking good and will keep improving with time. Whatever you do do not loose the lower branch on the bigger maple. That's what's giving it it's own unique character. I love low branches on deciduous trees. The have a very natural appeal to me. Thanks for sharing and look forward to seeing their ongoing development.

2nd maple need attention on the left branch. It has a bad reverse taper due to clump of branches.

In this case nothing that a bit of carving could not fix.

I got a quick question about maples. Here's mine (obviously quite a bit more raw than some of the others in this thread :] )

XJZFlkhl.jpg

It's not doing as well as I'd like. It leafed out inconveniently before the weather broke, so I protected it in a 40F greenhouse. Unfortunately, my heater shut off and some of the leaves were damaged, look like crispy fried little suckers. I didn't repot this year as I didn't catch it in time - it's been in this small pot for at least two years, quite possibly longer, and I'm worried about it becoming root bound. Should I slip pot it now into a larger pot, wait until Fall and repot it or not worry about it until next year?

Yes you can slip pot it now with no worries. Good luck and nice tree :)

Bonsai_Bubba

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks Mach. I just picked up a palmatum from Walter Pall, your eyes are gonna bug when I post that :p

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Yeah, you're right about that branch. The photograph makes it look worse then it really is, though. There's a fair amount of deadwood at the bulge so I need to be a bit careful when I carve it because I really need that branch to survive. Maybe in the next few weeks...

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Is that first one any specific cultivar? The leaves look just like the one I have. I just got my first bit of new leaves after chopping and I feel your excitement!

It was grown from a cutting I started maybe 15 years ago. Pretty sure the parent tree was a standard palmatum seedling, which is what I think your tree is:).

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very nice Dave! Like them both. They're looking good and will keep improving with time. Whatever you do do not loose the lower branch on the bigger maple. That's what's giving it it's own unique character. I love low branches on deciduous trees. The have a very natural appeal to me. Thanks for sharing and look forward to seeing their ongoing development.

Thanks, Mach. You should know that the inspiration for this tree's design came from a tree in Peter Adam's maple book....but....the lowest branch on the tree is there because of you. I've found your styling of maples to be dynamic, inspirational...and worth emulating;). Having said that, if the tree ends up never being that good, it's not your fault:eek:.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You're right, there is nothing prettier. The one in the first photo is killer! My yard JM has just completed leafing out. I'm going to air layer a branch once the leaves harden because I can't find another one like it.

Attachments

• DSCF2079.jpg
    DSCF2079.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 45

Bonsai_Bubba

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
And I didn't even know there was a Troll 1...man, you gotta get out more often!;)

Ha! I don't actually think that Troll 1 and Troll 2 were related at all. There's a rumor that there's a third one, but I've never been able to find it. Next time you have some friends over with beers, pop it in. You can thank me later. :]

To me, The Toxic Avenger films are the best the cinema industry has ever had to offer.

Oh man, all of Troma's stuff was excellent. Surf Nazis Must Die is one of my favorites.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
splendid spring color

Attachments

• IMG_5662.JPG
    IMG_5662.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5657.JPG
    IMG_5657.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 82
Top Bottom