Massive nursery juniper

RNbonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This shows the whole thing.

This shows a bit more of the trunk craziness with bends- useful or not I don’t know yet

This last one is just to show that as crazy as it looks, there is decent smaller branching and foliage close to the trunk.

One of the trunks splits right above the soil like a big V. The other one goes up maybe a foot and then bends hard. I can’t tell if they are connected or not. At the very least they are touching each other in the soil ;)

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Once you get the rootball more contained, bring it to a local club, or workshop for help with design. Figuring out how to design a tree is something that takes time, and practice. If you seek out more experienced people, you will be able to expedite this.

Whenever I get stumped (get it?!?!) on a tree design, I focus my attention by looking for the most interesting line first. After I come up with the line, I ask myself how I can make that line more beautiful?
IMO, this is the only interesting line that I’ve seen in all the pictures you posted. There may be something else hidden in there, but a full 360 view would be the only way to see it.

Attachments

• 6DD876CB-97B9-44FC-A643-E5A4B9E8CA73.jpeg
    6DD876CB-97B9-44FC-A643-E5A4B9E8CA73.jpeg
    413.5 KB · Views: 70

RNbonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My plan for tomorrow is to repot.
Plan
1- cut black plastic pot off
2- cut the bottom half of the root/dirt mass off.
3- water and pick small amount of soil off the edges
4- put into new wooden pot
5- fill extra space with new bonsai soil and mix it in
6-water
7- check back in a year

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My plan for tomorrow is to repot.
Plan
1- cut black plastic pot off
2- cut the bottom half of the root/dirt mass off.
3- water and pick small amount of soil off the edges
4- put into new wooden pot
5- fill extra space with new bonsai soil and mix it in
6-water
7- check back in a year

Go with straight pumice.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I would Jin one of the trunks, and some of the larger structural flaws To allow more light in, then just let it run and hope it back buds.

That, or Jin/shari like 80% of it, and develop a small tree with a huge amount of deadwood, and hopefully you get a nice/twisty live vein.

I would also be cautious of a late summer repot, especially if you are going to lose half the root mass. Unless you know what you are doing, of course.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The good moon is almost over.

I reckon you can wait till the next waning moon and be safer...

Safer taking the roots all the way back to final pot size.

Especially if you are sure you can leave it alone till next year.

This is the
that I wanted to talk to you about.

One who has the self control to not prune the top can by all means take the roots down to appropriate pot size.

If NOT going all the way down, because you need healthier growth to make branches or strengthen branches....blah...

Then there is no reason to repot whatsoever. Except to cure a human need.

Simply being upright and watered appropriately will give you the best growth, repotting will be an uneccesary setback at this time.

I'm glad you bought it.

Sorce

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That's a good size trunk, but the question is what magic can you do with that? The pot looks like a 15gal trade pot....30gal you wouldn't be abe to pick it up.

Could be something nice if you can work it.....post pics of your progress.

RNbonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ok I don’t know the exact pot size I guessed 30gal but it is I can’t wrap my arms around it size.

I have no prob no touching it, just thought the best first step was getting it into appropriate soil and smaller pot.

I’m going to google the next waning moon time in a sec- I don’t keep track of that fancy stuff.
At this stage in my bonsai career my fav time is watering time. I look at my trees, see how amazing they will one day be, water, smoke and leave go inside and tell my wife about it.

I do believe my wife is a huge bonsai future amazing ness conversation appreciator. It is most beautiful when they don’t know yet

Japonicus

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I’m going to google the next waning moon time in a sec- I don’t keep track of that fancy stuff.
I've been a lunatic a long time. Nothing I like better for relaxation than to sit on the deck under a full moon
with a nice cigar and scud clouds blowing by.
It often times is obscured by daytime clouds several days in a row or just a timing issue, but observance is
easiest. My current calendar doesn't show the New Moon dates, so mid ways to the next Full Moon which
is coming the 13th of 🎃ctober but not on a Friday. That was last year I think.
Observance has proven me that it waxes from the East and wanes to the West.
So when you see a moon on the rise, if the top right corner is flattened any it is waning.
If the bottom left corner if flattened any it is a waxin. (in my hemisphere)
Then as it arcs through the sky that night, the top right corner becomes the bottom right on the set I do believe.

Now @sorce has a bit of science behind his moon pots, but me, I will try for one if'n I can
but it is, I believe, better suited to pot prior to a wet spell not a heat wave, and in season.
I'm not going to miss a year or two waiting for a rainy waning moon in season, or a waning moon
without a heat wave and or drought, we've had .01" of precipitation in the last 25 days.
I'm not going to repot prior to traveling out of town regardless of what phase the lunar cycle is in.
I love the moon, would prefer to follow Sorce's input when I can concerning this,
but rain and season prevail, rain n wane = less fail. At least it rhymed.

Japonicus

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This is great! I had the app but had to delete it....and when I went to download it again I was like wait.....I can just look up!

🌒

Sorce
If the moon is there to be seen I will see it, like Liv Tyler, if she's there I will see her.
I often will peek out the window just to see what phase, or just go out and say hello to the Old Man in her.
In the day walking into work, I look up, when I'm outside, I look up though my neck is bum...
When I had my reef tank, I had (still do) an LED lunar module that replicates the brightness of the lunar cycle
down to 29.5_ _ days based on no cloud cover. My Ocellaris clownfish spawned regularly and the bubble coral ate
many of the frye, making it grow considerably for which I have a video uploaded of that as it happened.
I believe the lunar lighting helped, however, many people bread fish long before lunar lighting was available artificially.

RNbonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So we are in a waning moon cycle now, right?
so its the moon time to repot now, right?
what is the reasoning behind the moon business?

I guess the waning moon is almost over so I would probably have to wait till the next one unless I did it tomorrow. But does it really affect much?

this is the link I found the cycle on

RNbonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Haven't done more than just watering it now. I will look into best repot timing and decide on the time. I don't want to leave it in the yard too long, the wife hasn't quite warmed up to it yet. I looked at the base of it and I think the two trunks are joined.

I am honestly just excited to have such a huge juniper to really bend and work with. The others all have small branches, this one has a fat trunk and fat branches. May be the honeymoon stage but it is cool to have a big tree to work on like the pros

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I still don't think you have to repot.

Since simply turning it upright with attention to water will put it in a better situation. You can ride that newfound health out for a while.

When Ryan Neil talks about repotting reasons, the wife is never one! Lol.

Moon.

I say repot at the full moon because it's easy to see it.

But a few days before is a bit better, as to have a little healing time before root growth begins.

Now is a bad time. Not only because it's late for root growth, but because the tops tend to grow outside of the cycle too, during the waxer, the top growth that grows now will be seeking assistance from roots that were just cut, so it will tap into stored energy.

This close to winter isn't good to tap stored energy.

Sorce

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
Once you get the rootball more contained, bring it to a local club, or workshop for help with design. Figuring out how to design a tree is something that takes time, and practice. If you seek out more experienced people, you will be able to expedite this.

Whenever I get stumped (get it?!?!) on a tree design, I focus my attention by looking for the most interesting line first. After I come up with the line, I ask myself how I can make that line more beautiful?
IMO, this is the only interesting line that I’ve seen in all the pictures you posted. There may be something else hidden in there, but a full 360 view would be the only way to see it.
that same branch caught my eye too.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
what is the reasoning behind the moon business?
The idea is that around full moon roots grow stronger.

There seems to be some studies that indicate they have observed this:

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The idea is that around full moon roots grow stronger.

There seems to be some studies that indicate they have observed this:

Fake news!!! 🤪

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
From the posted article:

“Some gardening folklore suggests that planting crops according to the phases of the moon will give you a better harvest, but there is little scientific evidence to back this up. “It’s not really accepted in mainstream science,” says Barlow, who hopes his paper will encourage people to revisit the idea.”

“There is still scepticism, of course. “We definitely cannot exclude that the gravitational effect of the moon and the sun could effect this water-driven movement,” says Christian Fankhauser of the University of Lausanne, Switzerland. But he adds that other forces like temperature would overpower this effect, and there is also genetic evidence for a circadian clock. “I am quite sceptical about the great importance of this phenomenon.””

I’d love for the moon theory to be true. I think it’s a super cool idea! But I am not aware of any scientific evidence that actually indicates root growth is fostered or impeded by the moon’s phase.

I’d definitely become a believer if the science is there!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
other forces like temperature would overpower this effect,

I think "overpower" is wrong.
"Add to", I believe. "A part of".

This is how we know Scientists are also just human too, looking at it thru the eyes of a Human, dare I say, a power hungry human.
Douchebags.

Sorce

Top Bottom