Mateo’s back yard dumbassery

Got the little hornbeams potted. All the roots are nicely intertwined and hopefully they recover after today’s abuse. The soil mix has coco coir in it to help hold a little extra moisture. The little elm is in the same mix.
IMG_2212.jpegIMG_2213.jpegIMG_2214.jpeg

What's the goal of this?
The goal is to eventually be able to separate the knee from the main tree and have it live. There are few pictures of grafted knee bonsai. Also, I wanna see if I can successfully do it because why not. 😁

I thought the knees protruded out of the large structural roots. Do they have enough fine roots nearby to just dig up, or do you have to do some prep work to grow them before separation?

I thought the knees protruded out of the large structural roots. Do they have enough fine roots nearby to just dig up, or do you have to do some prep work to grow them before separation?
This is going to have to be done in stages. Once the graft takes I will cut the far end of the knee and let it use the parent trees energy push new fine root growth on that end. Once it’s been long enough that I feel it has good enough roots I will chop the parent tree side of the knee free. Then give it another year to let the graft push new roots on that side. To me this is an exercise in grafting and patience and if it works out I will have a very unique little bald cypress to play with. If it fails all I’m out is a couple hours of my time and a sapling BC.

I separated the first layer of the year today, probably a little early but what the hell…. I was going to cut this branch off before I decided to air layer it.
IMG_2370.jpegIMG_2371.jpeg
I also checked on the progress of some of my BC, the fat one from @Cajunrider still has no growth on one side, the other one is exploding with growth.
IMG_2367.jpeg
IMG_2369.jpeg
And lastly, the one I chopped into an instant flat top is finally picking up speed.
IMG_2368.jpeg

I had a day off today so I did some tree things. I checked in on a corallinum JM air layer on the tree @Piedmont Bonsai gave me, it had callous but no roots yet, took the opportunity to get it in a more moisture holding container.
IMG_2434.jpegIMG_2444.jpegIMG_2445.jpeg
Also air layered the top on a Chinese elm I got on markdown for $8, the top has the beginnings of a decent shohin size tree
IMG_2452.jpegIMG_2454.jpegIMG_2456.jpeg
I also stared at this little deshojo foe a while because why not…. It’s got pretty leaves 😂
IMG_2438.jpegIMG_2437.jpeg

I also contemplated what to do with this wakeabisu azalea…. Not sure the moves I need to make on this one yet, but for now I’ll enjoy the pretty flowers…
IMG_2446.jpegIMG_2448.jpegIMG_2447.jpeg

Also trying to figure out why this American hornbeam decided all by itself that it wanted to be a weeping style tree.
IMG_2441.jpegIMG_2443.jpeg
The cuttings in the tub are still alive as well
IMG_2439.jpeg

And finally, I unwired a few things, including my little kiyohime… and I weeded the elm seedlings out of stuff then wired a little movement in this baby JM forest.
IMG_2450.jpegIMG_2451.jpeg
I also did some branch selection on my Vance Woods memorial mugo. I figured by Vance’s timetables to do work is in Michigan time, I should be a month ahead in North Carolina time.

Big fan of dumbassery, and these seem like legit projects anyway. I do the same, but tend to lose patience with my experiments and don't follow through. Personally, I want to see that BC knee in a pot - good luck.

Big fan of dumbassery, and these seem like legit projects anyway. I do the same, but tend to lose patience with my experiments and don't follow through. Personally, I want to see that BC knee in a pot - good luck.
I can’t speed up time, but dumbassery, tomfoolery and shenanigans do make it pass faster 😂

Back
Top Bottom