Micropositioning bonsai in the garden; it matters.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
As for watering conifers, of course we can't generalize about it.
On the same bench, side by side, full sun and the same fertilizing schedule, I keep a JBP, a Shimpaku and a Hinoki.
JBP like it dry.
Shimpaku like it dryish.
Hinoki likes it wet.
So if one has many tress, sometimes it's better positioning them on the benches to facilitate the watering, so one side of the bench gets more water more often, while the opposite side gets less water.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
@Clicio, genuinely curious if people in the southern hemisphere feel like the minority ...

@kale , sorry.
If you are talking about me being a minority for trying to grow temperate bonsai in the tropics, or you trying to grow tropicals in Colorado, then yes, we are the stubborn minority.
🤣😂🤣😂🤣

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Kale, I don't think I grasped the meaning of your question. What do you mean by minority? If you mean a minority of bonsai lovers, minority of protestants versus Catholics, minority of blond blue eyed people, then the answer is yes.
On the other hand an American WASP will feel like being a minority down here, so it depends.
As I have lived in the USA and in Europe, and never ever encountered any prejudices against me being from the southern hemisphere, I guess I never felt like being a minority.

I wonder if the maple and azalea would do best with partial shade all day?

Yes, I think so, at least in my climate that is hot and humid in the summer
😉
Sorry @Clicio I poorly phrased my question! By ‘minority’ I simply mean a smaller group of people. Maybe I should’ve used the word outlier? Like do you feel like you are always needing to disclose that youre in the southern hemishpere? When doing research did you have to do mental gymnastics to figure out what months for repotting, etc?

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Hey, no need to be sorry!
😉
Like do you feel like you are always needing to disclose that youre in the southern hemishpere? When doing research did you have to do mental gymnastics to figure out what months for repotting, etc?

Well, I have a converted calendar for deciduous, conifers and tropical care where December (winter there) becomes June (winter here) and so on, and it works.
People around here already know who is down under, so no stress at all!

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
@kale take a look at this Resource, it's about Prunus Mume (Umê) and it works both hemispheres:

@Brian Van Fleet kindly provided a comprehensive calendar for Prunus Mume care:

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I micro position my boxwood underneath the benches in the summer time.
:p:p:p
Great thread.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
It is a very good idea to get to know the preferences of the trees we grow and what conditions they prefer. Some species, like Chinese elm, seem to have a wider range of tolerance and some a little less.
Yes, Chinese Elms go well from a windowsill to full outdoors sun here.
My Wisteria struggled indoors; my maples don't like our heat, and so on.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did not see this in other posts but one factor we deal with on benches here is radiant heat. Radiant heat can have a huge impact on trees and should be taken into account when placing trees. Specifically, heat from block fences, windows, the side of your house. These objects can absorb and reflect tremendous amounts of heat onto your trees. Just another thing to consider when placing benches and trees.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Radiant heat can have a huge impact on trees and should be taken into account when placing trees. Specifically, heat from block fences, windows, the side of your house.

Exactly.
That's the main reason to be taking all my plants from a relatively small area surrounded by walls to my much bigger outdoor garden, with no walls around.
It surely makes an enormous difference.
Thanks for remembering this, can be a big problem!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes, I guess so.
But the topic is, moving them left or right, up and down, even by a few feet makes a huge difference.

Kind of depends on what the difference is ie what is going on in that few feet doesnt it.
In some areas of my yard, a "few feet" doesn't make much difference because they are still in full sun.
However if I move them from the lower yard to my deck, they go from full sun to partial shade or further under the trees, it goes to more shade.
Yes that makes a difference.

Top Bottom