Midwest Bonsai Society, August Exhibition, Aug 16-18, 2019

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Our August Exhibition has the longest history, going into its 42nd year in 2019. It is one of the largest regional shows in the nation. Centered on the Chicago Botanic Garden's Permanent Collection, featuring over 50 world-class trees, it’s a showplace of trees from across the Midwest and beyond. Enthusiasts from across the country bring their trees to be judged in the main hall at the Garden's Regenstein Center.

We have a review of the August 2017 Exhibition available here. We also have a review of the 2015 Exhibit available with that year's winners.

The show is free, but regular parking rates apply for entry to the Chicago Botanic Garden.

Traveling from out of town? Many of the hotels near the Chicago Botanic Garden offer discounted rates.

EXHIBITION SITE HERE

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Midwest Bonsai Socity is hosting a Bonsai Exhibition this weekend May 11th and 12th. The Exhibit will be held at the Chicago Botanic Gardens.

The May show is geared more towards education than judging. Therefore trees in all stages of development will be displayed.

There will be a vendor area as well with pots, trees and supplies available

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think maybe my wife will let me make one bonsai trip this year, would the Midwest Bonsai Society, August Exhibition be the one to attend?

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think maybe my wife will let me make one bonsai trip this year, would the Midwest Bonsai Society, August Exhibition be the one to attend?

Yes, it is one of the top shows in the Midwest. There are a number of top Bonsai teachers that have workshops scheduled. These is also a large numbers of vendors with top vendors.

Vendors usually include the likes of Sara Ryaner, Andy Smith and Meheen’s Miniatures to show the distances the vendors travel and their diversity.

Owen Reich, Walter Pall, and Jennifer Price have attended in the past as well.

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looks like there is a Marriott just across the way. Where do all the cool kids hang out?
Do you have a meet & greet for B'nutters?

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I used to live within walking distance of the Chicago Botanic Garden, and used to walk to meetings of the Midwest Bonsai Society. Great group, and extremely well-organized. It's where I first met Sara Rayner, @William N. Valavanis , David De Groot, Hugh Meehan, Frank Mihalic, and many others (this was 25 years ago). The August Exhibition is the largest bonsai show that I am aware of anywhere in the Midwest. It is certainly as big as the big shows here on the West Coast.

tag.jpg

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will make it again at some point over the weekend.

I'll probly take wifey to the auction/dinner too...
At the same Glencoe PD place I deliver clay to now!

Sorce

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Sad I don't live there now... because we would be having Bonsai Nut after-hours in my back yard :) I would hope we would make enough noise to get busted by the Highland Park cops... just so I could tell them it's a party of crazed bonsai enthusiasts and see the expressions on their faces! :)

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The exhibition is coming up, Leo and Sorce have you figured out a meeting place yet?

The Garden converted the ice cream stand to a beer garden, so we could head over there as it is about 200 yards from the main Bonsai exhibit area.

Scooter9166 - 5a

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Anyone going to be at the show this afternoon?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I can go Saturday, or Sunday, or both. I have not picked a time yet, was hoping to hear when others were going to be there, so I could meet up with people. I don't go on Friday, because the exhibit area is often closed if they have not finished judging. The mad scramble to hit the vendors is fun, but I often find my best treasures on Sunday afternoons, just before closing. There is always something overlooked by others that is really nice.

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just got back. Volunteered in the morning, then took Owen Reich’s class in the afternoon.

I will be there tomorrow to volunteer again. I cannot make it Sunday as that is when I kill trees every month.

Top Bottom