mine's not big enough

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Back in March, after cutting, I covered the chop with damp sphagnum and part of a ziploc bag, similar to covering an air layer girdle. On 13 June I removed this to see how things were doing. I was disappointed to not find even a hint of a fat callus lip. In so much a I left this area somewhat above the plane of the two branches, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. On the other hand, the little bit of cambium die back was subtle.
View media item 1541View media item 1540
So, I carved down this area to the point I could see a solid ring of green cambium.
View media item 1539
And then ...

I remembered reading that Nick Lenz's favorite cut treatment was vasaline and aluminum foil. I also recall a recent episode of Bonsai Art of Japan wherein Owen Reich removed a piece of aluminum foil that had covered some kind of cut paste on a branch stump (voila! healed!, but with Owen's characteristically calm, low key narration). I applied lanolin (what I had on hand) over the cambium and put a little dab in the middle to help hold the aluminum foil that I put on top.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Many times I've pondered how one might realize that they have gone nuts. One sign, I think, is when no one else makes sense. This
You little clubbers are busy. No star gazing for me!
worried me, but I reread the entire thread. I get it. I'm okay (for now). Thanks.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sigh of relief. This tree got thru the winter with no dieback at the big chop. In fact, there is even a bit of a ‘callus lip’ (as we say) on one side – a very pleasant surprise from 2015! On the other hand, it is still too small for Smoke's maple challenge - the trunk caliper has changed little and stands at only 2.6 inches now.

View media item 2417
This is the tree on 1 Dec 2015.

View media item 2219
And after my work today

View media item 2424

Yawn…
There’s a possibility of some additional excitement in May.
Now, I’m going to look for something else to do.

jomawa

Shohin
Reaction score
We are talking about trees here?!
Just wondering, is it too late to join the little club, I may have the winning prize at eighth inch minus. Can I join, hugh? Can I, can I?
By the way that's a unique looking tree, but what I like most is you use a man width tape blade. Keep up the good work on both your tree and your tool, uhhh, tools, yeah, tools.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sigh of relief. This tree got thru the winter with no dieback at the big chop. In fact, there is even a bit of a ‘callus lip’ (as we say) on one side – a very pleasant surprise from 2015! On the other hand, it is still too small for Smoke's maple challenge - the trunk caliper has changed little and stands at only 2.6 inches now.

Yawn…
There’s a possibility of some additional excitement in May.
Now, I’m going to look for something else to do.

I may have to add another year to this. Still busy with the wifey and the cancer. She can't do anything and I am cleaning and cooking my ass off. The oncoligist says she will be on this pill for life....CRAP!

Besides my tree needs another year to really look its best and slip into it's final pot.
DSC_000200013.JPG

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I may have to add another year to this.

Obviously I've got more than a year ahead of me. With some luck I'll have something good enough to be @MACH5's starting material in 3 to 5 more years. It probably still won't be big enough, but it will be 'elegant" :confused:.
Still busy with the wifey and the cancer. She can't do anything and I am cleaning and cooking my ass off. The oncoligist says she will be on this pill for life....CRAP!
As long as there is life worth living, pills are good.
The thought of a kitchen apron, pink thong, and bare feet :D.
Best wishes to her.

BTW, don't forget to do the toilets on Thursdays.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So I tried a little experiment and damn killed it in 2016. It pulled, through, and grew pretty well this past year.
In the net, it ended 2017 about where it was (plus some dead areas that will take longer to 'heal over' or be eliminated in some way). Alas :oops:

full

I'll remove the heavy aluminum wire guy and trim it back further 'as buds swell' next spring.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Clicked that link and had to change all those old likes to laughs!

Good thread!

Sorce

Top Bottom