MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Maybe If you airlayer the top..

View attachment 534993

and regrow it
View attachment 534995

Then the pot will fit ;)

It is a bit drastic option, and will take some time, but keep in mind that you could improve the tree and sell the airlayer too 🤣

Probably you already have seen this one from sidiao webpage
View attachment 534996

For me it is the perfect combination between a tidy and natural ramification for an elm.

Cheers

Excellent solution David! Now why didn't I think of that. I'll get right on it!! 🤣

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This tree has real presence and character, making it look old and crotchety like me. It is my kind of tree.
The pictures suggest the canopy is taking the energy from the lower branches. This is probably in part due to 2D pictures but beware and be sure its not happening. I'm sure you already know that elms tend to be apically dominant and lower branching can weaken.
Great tree!

Thanks Don. Yes keenly aware of it. Part of it is the photo. The challenge is that the upper branches needed thickening (some still do) and more development while keeping the lower ones alive and well. Now I am able to restrain that upper growth better than a I did a couple of seasons back. Last year I made some big cut backs over the apical region to open it up and balance its vigor throughout. It is always a challenge with most trees.

Top Bottom