MIRAI YATSUBUSA ELM

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ok here we go with another fall update. Leaves are all about to drop. Tomorrow might take my leaf blower and take care of things! It's a pretty amazing sight to see this massive tree in its full autumn glory! I can stare at it for hours.

Notice the two root grafts in progress. Much slower process than when working with Japanese maples. May take another entire season before they graft.

IMG_0610 copy.jpg

IMG_0613.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love this small elm of yours!

How easy was it in the end to bend these branches?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Awesome tree. So much intricacy.
You should do a video of the leaf blower event, it'd be like a snow-globe for trees! (and you could do a little montage between you and the tree, I can just see it now. Cut to Sergio long shot, hair blowing in the wind, cut back to the tree....😁)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Leaves are all about to drop. Tomorrow might take my leaf blower and take care of things!
Is there any horticultural benefit to hastening the leaf drop, or is it simply to avoid cleaning the leaves up multiple times?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Love this small elm of yours!

How easy was it in the end to bend these branches?

Yes so nice to work on something small and manageable!

Generally not that hard to bend as these elms are quite flexible. As you have seen, I had to use copper wire as aluminum for this one is useless. I also used a few guy wires to pull certain branches up. One in particular is the first thick branch on the left. It used to be angled down while the one opposite to it on the right faced up creating a seesaw effect that was bothersome. I wanted to make sure that all branches followed the same growth logic so I pulled it up creating a slight upwards bend. Those really thick branches are bendable but tough to do at this point.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Awesome tree. So much intricacy.
You should do a video of the leaf blower event, it'd be like a snow-globe for trees! (and you could do a little montage between you and the tree, I can just see it now. Cut to Sergio long shot, hair blowing in the wind, cut back to the tree....😁)

Haha!! Love it!. Sounds like an 80s music vid! MTV would be all over it!! Let me not forget the fog machine. Now that's classy! πŸ˜‚πŸ€£

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Is there any horticultural benefit to hastening the leaf drop, or is it simply to avoid cleaning the leaves up multiple times?

Not to my knowledge. In fact in some nurseries, including those in Japan, defoliate their trees to keep things clean and neat before leaves begin to fall. This elm creates a real mess specially because leaves are so small, lots of them and they get everywhere! So hopefully today I will use the leaf blower and in a matter of seconds the tree will be all cleaned up ready for winter storage.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@Africanherbman Thanks! It still have some ways to go but I think it's progressing nicely. These large scale trees do come with their own challenges apart from destroying your back!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
A now a quote from one of my favorite artists:

"I prefer winter when you feel the bone structure of the landscape, the loneliness of it, the dead feeling of winter. Something waits beneath it, the whole story doesn't show"

-Andrew Wyeth

IMG_0922.jpg

Top Bottom