Montezuma cypress seedling

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
It isn't two years old yet. The trunk is almost an inch thick at the base, and the tree is almost a meter tall, with secondary and tertiary branches. One of the fastest trees I've grown, not because of height, but overall size. Can't wait to see what it does next year.

Anyone here have a montezuma cypress bonsai?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 77

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I had one growing in the yard at a previous residence. I grew pretty much like a regular bald cypress, other than the fact that the branches had a weeping characteristic. I wish that I could find another so that I could use it for bonsai.

John

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It isn't two years old yet. The trunk is almost an inch thick at the base, and the tree is almost a meter tall, with secondary and tertiary branches. One of the fastest trees I've grown, not because of height, but overall size. Can't wait to see what it does next year.

My teacher, Mr. Richard Ota, told me that this specimen was one of the fastest growth in CA.
This is his tree in 2012 CBS show.

Bonhe

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Some taxonomists think the Montezuma Cypress is the same species as the Bald (and pond) Cypress. In any event, treat them the same.

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
single species?

Im aware of the debate. To me they are different enough to be separate species. They do all hydridize though. and some native populations seem to be intermediate between the different forms.

Montezuma cypress generally wont make knees, the cones are smaller, branches are the least upright of the three. a little faster growing too.

This montezuma cypress is from one of the last tiny spots where the species is native in texas (I believe its less than 50 acres now) most of them are in mexico. interestingly, it can be evergreen in tropical conditions and sometimes is summer deciduous, losing leaves not in winter but during dry season.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Know this is an older thread but was wondering if anybody else has one and how Txhorticulture's tree is doing now that a few years have past.
The seed has been planted in my head to start one...... cus well.... I don't have enough trouble with what I am currently taking care of!
Thanks!

Top Bottom