MULTI-TRUNK JAPANESE BEECH

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What did you use as your rooting gel?

I've got a japanese maple (viridis) that I've been trying to layer for 3 or 4 years. It has produced a nice swelling/callus but no roots. It doesn't even look like it's bridging very much but I must be missing some cambium somewhere. This is actually a very low/ground layer right above the current root system and the trunk is lumpy/bumpy and not easy to cut a clean strip.

I tried clonex which is a purple gel but haven't been able to entice root formation.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another one of those nice trees.
I should really start planning my bee-BBQ-Bonsai trip to the USA. Need to see some of these in person!

D

Deleted member 21616

I've got a japanese maple (viridis) that I've been trying to layer for 3 or 4 years

Dissectum are notoriously difficult (read impossible) to propagate by air layer or cutting, with the exception of seiryu (upright dissectum)

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Dissectum are notoriously difficult (read impossible) to propagate by air layer or cutting, with the exception of seiryu (upright dissectum)

I am will see and try my luck this year with a dissectum "viridis" in the landscape. I have two small ones in the works growing on their own roots that I bough from Mark Comstock. But all reports point towards being very difficult to air layer.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
True. Comon @MACH5 show us some of the trees you are ashamed of!

Im glad it layered successfully!!
Every tree you post is a tree i would love to have

LOL oh come on guys, I have them just like everyone else. And trust me not everything I post is to everyone's liking or even in their want list.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
What did you use as your rooting gel?

I've got a japanese maple (viridis) that I've been trying to layer for 3 or 4 years. It has produced a nice swelling/callus but no roots. It doesn't even look like it's bridging very much but I must be missing some cambium somewhere. This is actually a very low/ground layer right above the current root system and the trunk is lumpy/bumpy and not easy to cut a clean strip.

I tried clonex which is a purple gel but haven't been able to entice root formation.

Chris, Clonex is also what I use. Have you tried scarring the callus and putting some rooting gel on it?

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
not everything I post is to everyone's liking or even in their want list.

........clear, acrylic display table.........?;):D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Honestly, this is a pretty hot "horts in shorts" display of "technical" genius. Most excellent execution of a process that get's tossed around like it ain't no thing.....this, this is the real thing!!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chris, Clonex is also what I use. Have you tried scarring the callus and putting some rooting gel on it?

Yep...the last two springs I have done exactly that! And not a root to be found.

I've been debating whether to just plant the thing in the yard and forget about it. It can't be used as bonsai the way it is now. Maybe I'll give it one more try but I don't have any more clonex (or at least haven't been able to find where I put it).

So my results are consistent then.. Bummer!

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes perfect example. That table was either loved or HATED!! :D:D:D
Sorry but I felt indifferently about it! But I really don't feel strongly about most stands or accessory items, scrolls, etc. I focus on the trees. Loved the tree grouping, though.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
But, but, but... did you get your shoes dirty when you did this??? I mean, Sergio you’re always so dapper whenever I see you...

Lol!!! Great work! I’m looking forward to seeing you in Kannapolis in June!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
But, but, but... did you get your shoes dirty when you did this??? I mean, Sergio you’re always so dapper whenever I see you...

Lol!!! Great work! I’m looking forward to seeing you in Kannapolis in June!

Thanks Adair! LOL I was barefoot and no pants when I did the work! So much for dappery!! :D:D

Unfortunately would love to see you guys but I will not be able to attend the shohin Nationals this year :(

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks Adair! LOL I was barefoot and no pants when I did the work! So much for dappery!! :D:D

Unfortunately would love to see you guys but I will not be able to attend the shohin Nationals this year :(
No pants?

That’s a whole side of you that, frankly, I wish I didn’t know about! There’s places in Mexico, Jamaica for that, but the bonsai garden?

Oh, wait...

Was it “garden naked” day? If so, all is forgiven!

What??? Not coming to the National Shohin Show??? That’s allowed? I’m warning you... Bill V will dump a cup of his McDonald’s iced tea on your head if you don’t come!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
No pants?

That’s a whole side of you that, frankly, I wish I didn’t know about! There’s places in Mexico, Jamaica for that, but the bonsai garden?

Oh, wait...

Was it “garden naked” day? If so, all is forgiven!

What??? Not coming to the National Shohin Show??? That’s allowed? I’m warning you... Bill V will dump a cup of his McDonald’s iced tea on your head if you don’t come!

Yeah I'm afraid that he will do that and I hate getting my hair all messed up!! :p:p I'll have to see. But doesn't look good at the moment... sigh! :(

Top Bottom