My $3 chinzan azalea is finally blooming.....

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is 1 of the 3 I bought last fall.....My dog did the root work on them twice.....The other 2 didn't make it...This one seems to be doing well despite the fact that the soil it is in is not very good and doesn't drain well. I'm not sure when to tackle that. I'm afraid if I wait till next sprint it will not make it....Any advise on re-potting it....? Here are a few pics some when the buds first started to open and some today.

IMG_2363.jpg

IMG_2366.jpg

IMG_2369.jpg

Brian

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wee, have you looked at the bottom of the pot to see if there is a drain hole? The reason I ask is that the soil looks like it should drain well while the pot looks like one of those pots they keep glass rocks in at a craft store, they have no drain hole.

ed

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It has (3) 3/4" drain holes....I drilled them myself. The soil mostly organic with just a little turface and gravel thrown in. I'm not sure other than that way it doesn't drain well. I'm just amazed that it is still living after the chewing my dog gave it twice.

Brian

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Describe "doesn't drain well". Water pools up, runs over the sides? Sits on top for the first couple passes? Retains water in the soil long after watering? Repels water, can't seem to wet soil?

Repotting now is not recommended. Aerating bad-draining soil by scraping off and replacing the top 3/4", and poking holes through to the bottom with a chopstick can buy enough time to get to next spring. At that time you will have determined the factors leading to bad drainage and can make the necessary changes.

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Retains water in the soil long after watering is the problem.....Or maybe it's not really a problem.... It does seem to be dong well. I think I'll just poke a few holes and hope for the best

Brian

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
The azalea looks very happy and healthy and not suffering from any root issues related to soggy soil. I'd hold off on the repot until next spring.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The tree looks healthy, and not affected by the problem you're describing. My azalea consumes water very slowly, and stays on the wet side with no complaints over the last 12 years. Roots take a long time to fill the pot, so you may be seeing some of the effects of that too. Mine went 5 years between transplantings, and could have made it another 2-3; in straight Kanuma.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You can repot azaleas after they are done flowering.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think the foliage shows that the tree seems to not have too much problem with the soil and how moist it stays. If that were to change for the worse in the near future, I would be for repotting as an "emergency" to save the tree. While I did that, I would also choose another style of pot that does not have such a constraining lip design. IF you can get that tree out of the pot without breaking the pot, I will be surprised, OR the root ball is very small. In any event, some day you may end up having to take a hammer to the pot like it was a cheap piggy bank, just to release the treasure within.

Top Bottom