Chinzan Satsuki azalea in our spring show

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
I displayed this Chinzan azalea in our April 20 Lone Star State show. The flowers were already past their peaks, about half of them remained. After the show, I removed all the flowers, cut back branches and removed some leaves, and began to fertilize.

IMG_7638 (2).JPG
IMG_7784.JPG

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Nice but it kinda feels like both trees have flow in opposite direction.
On the second picture the azalea looks like going left but not in the display, perhaps perspective has something to do with it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't even have the slightest knowledge yet about display aesthetics with scrolls, etc, but I know a pretty tree when I see one! Glad you could put it in the show!

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
Nice but it kinda feels like both trees have flow in opposite direction.
On the second picture the azalea looks like going left but not in the display, perhaps perspective has something to do with it.
Yes, I struggled whether I should swap positions of the Chinzan and Chinese elm with respect to how the trunk directions coming out of the pot. When I did that, it somehow did not look right when viewed in person. A friend also thought so. I think It is because Chinzan’s top leans to the left when looking directly at it but is not so obvious when one is standing on the left hand side; then the trunk becomes right handed (migi hidari).

The Chinese elm looks like a moyogi in a 2-D photo but it is not. It is a Lingnan “recline style” by clip and grow. The rising trunk tilts about 45 degrees to the left back corner of the pot. It is like a couch potato leaning on a sofa watching TV but the top movement is looking to the front left, thus a lackadaisical “reclining” style.

One critic said swapping the two positions would be perfect. I do not know how strict the left-, right- handedness (migi hidari kate) rules apply on display. Perhaps you can tell and educate us more on this display aspects. Maybe it was not a good idea to combine a moyogi Chinzan with a Lingnan recline style in the display.

Top Bottom