My 3 year old Alberta Spruce.

Bad_Bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is my Dwarf Spruce I made from nursury stock. It was one of the first trees that survived my ever evolving overwintering process.

I reppotted it into this in early spring, and cut the wire off today. My intention is to leave it be now for the next year, maybe more, and proceed with further branch selection.

Edit: I made this in a time before I knew about reverse taper and digging into nursury stock to see what I'm committing to. - I actually quite like the bulbous base too as it has an almost cartoonish lofty quality to it. (The two bulbous nodes at the bottom, not so much.)

How does it look? Any thoughts pointers?

Attachments

• 20210508_155210.jpg
    20210508_155210.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

BonjourBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It looks healthy! I think pulling the branches down would make it look better. DAS love to pop back up though. The reverse trailer and the double trunk are not too get looking you.

Bad_Bonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It looks healthy! I think pulling the branches down would make it look better. DAS love to pop back up though. The reverse trailer and the double trunk are not too get looking you.
I definitely want to pull down the branches, that'll be the next project, probably for the next year maybe more? I wanna see it do well post-repot.

This is kinda my first tree that has me thinking that I can actually 'do' bonsai. If I go and kill it for a few bent branches, I'll be a little let down. Hahaha