My Kingsville Box

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
The monastery kingsville is probably 10x the size of the next biggest one I have ever seen. I agree that the box is not what I have always considered to be a kingsville. The leaves of the ones I have seen are shockingly small and the growth is minuscule. I got rid of mine I was so bored with it.

coachspinks

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have another that is 16" tall. It is currently wildly overgrown. It pushed out 3" of growth this year.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Don't think so. New growth is way too long and leaves too big. I am brutal in pruning mine every spring. It never pushes growth like that. FWIW, most people have never seen an actual Kingsville as they're not as common around the U.S. as the other smaller leaved varieties.

The coarse growth is completely different than how it looked originally.
If it is a fake, its a good one.
Time will tell.
I'll be curious to see how it looks next summer.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The coarse growth is completely different than how it looked originally.
If it is a fake, its a good one.
Time will tell.
I'll be curious to see how it looks next summer.
I'm not saying you were sold a "fake" There are many small and tiny leafed varieties of boxwood nowadays that are decent bonsai material. Many of them are tagged as "Kingsville" because that's the most recognizable "bonsai" boxwood...

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I have a 40 year old stump of the typical form of Buxus sempervirens. This is the European boxwood, the one originally used in topiary and other garden arts. Simply set on the ground for the winter it has survived 14 years of Chicago-Milwaukee area winters. Cold, with or without snow as insulation, never bother with mulch any more, it has survived -25 F. (-32 C ) on at least 2 separate winters, routinely every winter has at least one night down to -17 F (-27 C).

I know 'Kingsville' is not the same species as B sempervirens, but it should be hardy into zone 6. In zone 7 and warmer, it should not need much protection.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My box and I hated each other. I stuffed it in a tiny mame pot and left it out unprotected on the ground in an Ohio winter for spite last year. Several below Zero nights. It lived so I gave it a little bigger pot this year as a reward,
IMG_20190228_090332199.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yes, sempervirons is tough as nails, but Kingsville is a zone 7a Maryland one-off sport from way back and it is only marginally hardy in Z5 with protection. I've had a small (short) one for ~5 years that I stuff in-between bigger trees and bury it all in Oak leaves. It does fine in my 6b where I have never seen one in landscapes. They are hard to find and expensive, so I'm careful. Careful and successful.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not a kingsville.
Looks like Harlandi.
The kingsville I had had tiny leaves,short internodes and barely moved.
But then it got cold.
Bye,bye.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'm not saying you were sold a "fake" There are many small and tiny leafed varieties of boxwood nowadays that are decent bonsai material. Many of them are tagged as "Kingsville" because that's the most recognizable "bonsai" boxwood...
Definitely could be a fake, I guess we'll find out next year when we get some more growth.
Not a kingsville.
Looks like Harlandi.
The kingsville I had had tiny leaves,short internodes and barely moved.
But then it got cold.
Bye,bye.
I'll take more pictures when the tiny leaves in short internode's come back. And then we'll have a second look.

I agree, nothing about it right now really looks like a Kingsville.... except the bark.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thought i would share my thoughts. This is a " Kingsville Boxwood" as supplied by a reputable grower for a workshop in 2006. At that time it was described as approx 15 years old. It can be very vigorous in growth, that means, many small leaves per year. Backbuds on old wood and all crotches almost every year! Always very small leaves in my experience! Others i have purchased and labelled as Kingsville from a variety of nurseries are not consistent with this pattern. At over 30 years of age this tree is approx 6 1/2 inches high.IMG_1480.JPGIMG_1482.JPGIMG_1492.JPG

Top Bottom