My Main Tree Purchase for the Year....JBP Advice Needed Please

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Similar only in that it is a fungicide, not a systemic fungicide. A systemic works by being transported through the roots into the vascular system, working to kill the final infection from within. The other types deal with the fungal infection on the surface only! Consider the others as preventative, but not a cure.
I used the preventative ones when I wish to keep trees from coming down with something, not after they are infected.
I spray with Copper fungicide and Daconil, alternating between the two. I also use a systemic granular fungicide Bonide Infuse granular fungicide. It has the same active ingredient as Cleary’s 3336.
2 Oz size should last a long time. Sleeve, and glove up.
I'm using 1/3 tsp/qt or 1/2 tsp/36 or so Oz of water.
Using its' own little 50 Oz sprayer, I not conceded with blending chemicals inside.
I'm not sure if the "copper soap" is systemic or not, but the copper sulphate pentahydrate is.
I wish I could find @Adair M s thread on don't let needle cast start. A link would be helpful.
It's a great read on timing and the effort. pretty sure he uses Clearys.
There's a picture of the JBP I lost to needle cast in that thread.
The neem oil, I doubt would be very beneficial for whatever fungicidal offerings it has.
View attachment 299427
Thank you guys!
Im shopping!

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Found it
I never do a search for needle cast as one word, and I never find it in a search query :rolleyes:
post 67 May 23 I believe, the candles should have been fresh lush shoots, but after not treating for 3 years
as it progressed, it actually looked pretty good previous Springtimes so I thought whatever it was it was kicking it
as it became more widespread. I had no idea what I was dealing with. Now I know.
Notice the black suet on the left branch midways.
I cracked that branch wiring it the previous Fall, and the needle cast won from there.
Needles were black with sticky suet at the sheath :( This is why I pre and post soak my tools in alcohol.
I don't want the disease entering into a wound as such, so I get the systemic effectively active, before I cut.
Shoot, IIRC tetanus is from horse poop, so I get a shot every year that's divisible by 5. A rusty object that has collected any spores
of horse manure (from what I hear) then breaks your skin...ya got it. I treat my pines same way every year now.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Ok.... I decided to do something....

Went ahead and decandled and plucked needles on all the thick heavy branches that I will remove in the future, and wired them down with guy wires to open up the tree to sun and airflow.
My intention with that work is to weaken those parts of the tree and redirect the growth to the smaller branches that I plan to use for primaries.

It definitely has Needlecast....so that's the top priority tomorrow, gonna try and find some Bonide systemic locally.

Front chosen
20200429_194622.jpg

Stick Figure Map
20200429_194603.jpg

Blue- Trunk Line
Red- 1st Left Branch
Green- 2nd Back Branch
Yellow- 3rd Right Branch
Purple- Future Apical Branches
20200429_194622~2.jpg

The back branch comes from between the 2 whorls, I want to grow out one of these buds at the base for that.
20200429_200245.jpg

Done for now....
20200429_221522.jpg

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I just bought boons decandling DVD... its only $25 plus 10 shipping, I havent had the chance to watch it but im pretty certain its worth it.

Your location is a little vague, but based on it I would say you decandled way too early... I'm just now preparing to decandle in the next few weeks. Bonsai tonight is great but I also highly recommend you watch bjorns new YouTube video on black pines, i think he mentioned when to thin shoots. In any case its worth the watch

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In the spots where I decandled, some new candles are opening up.

Should I thin them to 2 now?
View attachment 310140
no wait till fall, use the energy to help the tree recover and balance the growth over more candles. this in turn helps to shorten needles and control internode length on the second flush.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
no wait till fall, use the energy to help the tree recover and balance the growth over more candles. this in turn helps to shorten needles and control internode length on the second flush.
Should have also mentioned that the timing is dependant on your tree and goals. You may wish to retain extra candles and foliage to help the tree over the winter. Or you may wish to reduce now if that is not a concern and you are not trying to control needle length and internode length at this stage.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This fall, remove that guy wire contraption, and get some copper wire, and give that tree a proper wiring. You can bend those branches down, much more down, and put in some wiggles using copper.

Guy wires can only move the branch in one direction. Copper will give you much more control, and design options. Plus, it will look far better!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This fall, remove that guy wire contraption, and get some copper wire, and give that tree a proper wiring. You can bend those branches down, much more down, and put in some wiggles using copper.

Guy wires can only move the branch in one direction. Copper will give you much more control, and design options. Plus, it will look far better!
Yeah. This was indeed a contraption with materials I had on hand.
Hoping I can remove some branches as well.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I don’t know that email. You may be right. P
Yep Julian Adams gave me Jeremiah McKinney's email (when I tried to order last year) which is how Adams Bonsai
now takes orders for their copper wire since Julian passed the torch.
Link ^ to the the fact and picture showing the two together
Super Duper friendly, quick to answer your emails pay by PayPal is a great + for those who have it.
I will look into this, thanks!
You bet. Better than Jake from State Farm a truly "good neighbor". 2-3 Day priority shipping.
Link ^ to Adams home page.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Honestly would put in ground, grow 12 foot sacrifice at least one time and develop serious trunk to overcome long reach to branches😜. Bonsai pot is last thing needed for developing tree.

Last edited:

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Honestly would put in ground, grow 12 foot sacrifice at least one time and develop serious trunk to overcome long reach to branches😜. Bonsai pot is last thing needed for developing tree.
Its not a bad idea, of course.....but I don't have a proper spot to ground grow safely.....yet anyway.

Top Bottom