My Shohin Collection ....

Reaction score
After 3 weeks of heat wave in southern California my Shohin bonsai are ready for fall weather...

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 377
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 281
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 222
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 209
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 210
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 216
  • 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 210
  • 16.JPG
    16.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 205
  • 18.JPG
    18.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 214
  • 20.JPG
    20.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 298

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well they certainly don't show any stress about the heat, that in itself shows your care, with such small pots. What is the one with the small dark purple berries? You have a lot of fruit this year, and a Quince!

Reaction score
Well they certainly don't show any stress about the heat, that in itself shows your care, with such small pots. What is the one with the small dark purple berries? You have a lot of fruit this year, and a Quince!
Believe it or not it was a very stressful summer heat wave because i don't have a shade cloth to protect them... Of course, the fruit this year is amazing and plenty of them but no place to show my trees. Indian Hawthorne is the one with dark purple berries...

Attachments

• YJ3A349a5.JPG
    YJ3A349a5.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 331

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wow, that's quite surprising to have all that fruit after a harsh summer. That is a beauty that little haw, flowers are perfect in scale. I feel you about not having anywhere to show, I had groomed some things that are going nowhere now...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Peter has a way with matching pots and trees. Always perfection. You’d do well to study that if you have an interest in that.

win320

Mame
Reaction score
They are miniature blue atlas cedars and can be trained as cascade
You have very beautiful bonsais, Peter. Thanks for sharing, they are a visual delight.
Blue Atlas cedars are so beautiful. How old are they?
I have been trying Blue Atlas cedar for a long time but not much success. Any tips on this particular species:
Temperature, humidity, soil?
In my opinion and experience, they do not like wet feet and hate humidity. Is that true?

Thanks

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I just wanted to jump in and say that this may be one of my favorite threads. I love the focus on shohin. The further I get into this the more I realize just how special shohin are to me, I've always been more drawn to them. I have a couple of larger ones and honestly they just feel so out of place, but maybe it's because they're tropicals. The larch I just repotted is looking good if its roots survive, and that'll be a good larger one, but I think everything else is shohin or just a hooch over that size designation.

Anyways, just wanted to say I appreciate the dedication and continued photos.

win320

Mame
Reaction score
They are miniature blue atlas cedars and can be trained as cascade
@maria kapra
You have very beautiful bonsais, Peter. Thanks for sharing, they are a visual delight.
Blue Atlas cedars are so beautiful. How old are they?
I have been trying Blue Atlas cedar for a long time but not much success. Any tips on this particular species:
Temperature, humidity, soil?
In my opinion and experience, they do not like wet feet and hate humidity. Is that true?

Thanks

Pine_nut

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Believe it or not it was a very stressful summer heat wave because i don't have a shade cloth to protect them... Of course, the fruit this year is amazing and plenty of them but no place to show my trees. Indian Hawthorne is the one with dark purple berries...
I noticed you used to have a shade cloth covering them. Is there a reason why you removed it? Beautiful trees by the way! Do you have any Mugo pines?

Top Bottom