My Tiniest tree, What are you trying that's new??

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
New shoots aren't particularly brittle, but, the joint to old wood is quite fragile.

Two strategies seem to work. One is to wrap aluminum wire on the old wood and then just use the end of it to direct the young shoot. The other is to use a fine gauge copper wire, like #20/#22 and wire 'properly' (carefully remove it a few weeks later).
Hmm, reminds me of my first go at wiring green shoots on my Crape Myrtle....popped a few branches off at the shoulder as you mentioned....eventually I got the hang of it.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you do an internet search on erodium and red leaves you will find a number of references to this happening in spring. Some of the common names for erodium include mention of red stems or leaves. From what little I read it seems the oldest leaves that have been chilled turn red (full of sugars) as or before the new leaves are coming out - just as leaves would in autumn for other species. But you may want to followup and read more about this as I haven't yet grown erodium. Yours is very lovely!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you do an internet search on erodium and red leaves you will find a number of references to this happening in spring. Some of the common names for erodium include mention of red stems or leaves. From what little I read it seems the oldest leaves that have been chilled turn red (full of sugars) as or before the new leaves are coming out - just as leaves would in autumn for other species. But you may want to followup and read more about this as I haven't yet grown erodium. Yours is very lovely!
You are saying that sugar is red?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice. I've got one about this size. Not as nice, though.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You are saying that sugar is red?

No, but as chlorophyll breaks down and the leaves are getting ready to shed the sugars build up in the leaf and the red pigments often become brighter. Think autumn color in regular leaves - only it happens in the spring with these from what I have read.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
No, but as chlorophyll breaks down and the leaves are getting ready to shed the sugars build up in the leaf and the red pigments often become brighter. Think autumn color in regular leaves - only it happens in the spring with these from what I have read.
Chlorophyll is at the heart of the photocenters that drive the making of sugars by the Calvin cycle. Seriously, does it make sense to you that sugars would build up when the machinery that makes them is being dismantled?

Chlorophyll gets dismantled into compounds that are, generally speaking, colorless when triggered by ethylene signalling.
Anthocyanin, which generally makes red colors, works as a sun shade for the photocenters.
Xanthophyll, which makes the yellow colors, works to protect PSII and the thylakoid.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a little Chinese elm I've been working on for about seven years. I need to graft a branch... I'm not looking forward to that haha.
Dang, look at those fine branches, now I see why my shito size Fukien tea is not such a great idea, it grows too chunky for that size

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I like miniature hostas, and found a few fun ones this spring. Here is a ‘Cherry Tomato’ from NH Hostas:
https://www.nhhostas.com/cherry-tomato-hosta-3-inch-container/
The Chojubai will not be upstaged, however...showing off in the foreground. Of course it took the week off blooming during our annual spring show!
73D7188A-693A-4FB7-B9CF-9FF6A489DB93.jpeg

Top Bottom