My weekend with Bill

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The International Bonsai Arboretum in Rochester, NY has been for many years now a destination for bonsai professionals and enthusiasts alike worldwide. It houses an extensive collection of world class bonsai with a special emphasis on deciduous trees and in particular maples of different species and cultivars. Bill Valavanis is of course the man behind the trees. He is a renown bonsai artist, teacher, scholar and author. It is also no secret that Bill is a maple lover. When he contacted me earlier this year for one of his upcoming Master Classes, with a focus on maples (among other topics), I immediately signed up since I am also a hopeless maple nut!

The Master Class held last weekend was a very focused, three day intensive with Bill and four other students. We covered many topics, from design to display to seasonal care and much more. On the second day, Bill gave a lecture on maples which covered root development, design, care and properly preparing one for a formal display. We also had a slide presentation in which we discussed and analyzed various bonsai many of which were old Japanese masterpieces. There was also a workshop on Saturday where we had the option of either bringing our own trees or purchasing one or several from Bill to work on. Some of us worked that day until about 9 pm with lunch and dinner brakes.

I found the working atmosphere to be comfortable, fun and very relaxed. It helps greatly to have the right environment. At the arboretum, you are literally surrounded by great bonsai, an extensive library of books and magazines is at your fingertips, a beautifully set up tokonoma which changes every day for study and appreciation, an incredible array of tools, tables and containers and a spacious, comfortable studio space in which to work.

Bill is very generous sharing his knowledge and time. His view of classical bonsai is firm and clear, but I found him to be also open minded and accepting of other approaches and styles. Bonsai to him is not about the miniaturization of trees per se but rather a horticultural art form unto itself. Often throughout the three day session, Bill would recount the many interesting stories and anecdotes from his world travels, in particular those he made to Japan. Bill's knowledge and passion for all things bonsai is truly inspiring!

Below is the entrance to the beautiful garden which houses an impressive array of species and styles of bonsai.

Among the variety of species, a good number of large Japanese maples with impressive nebari were on display. Many of them were completely container grown for 30 to 40 years! There were also a few large scots pines that were spectacular.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

[photo courtesy of Bill Valavanis]

Among the more well known trees in the collection, is this chuhin size Japanese maple that was originally owned by Count Matsudaria in Japan. This magnificent maple is 120 years old. With this tree, Bill showed us how one can quickly and effectively thin out a maple by pulling all the outer leaves with a very special tool... his hand!

Below is part of the sales area in which one can find anything from starter material to large show worthy trees.

Imported azaleas from Japan.

Each morning we were greeted by a new tokonoma display that Bill would set up. Below is a moon maple designed in the literati style paired with a beautiful and unusual Japanese container. Notice how the celadon green from the container is also seen in the scroll, tying the whole display together nicely.

We had a fun exercise were the assignment was to set up a formal display using any tree and accesories of our choosing. We were split into three teams of two. My partner Paul and I decided to do a three point display using an Austrian dwarf pine and a shishigashira maple for the main elements. Below is the result.

On the second day, Bill, assisted by Mark Arpag, gave a quick demo were he redesigned a large ezo spruce forest. He decided to reposition some of the spruces while adding a few european beech trees to create an interesting mixed planting.

I was given a large zelkova clump for the styling workshop. Below yours truly with Bill and the half done zelkova. I never took a before photo but it was a big ball of green leaves!

Here is the finished tree slightly turned to show its new front. Lots more development needed but this was as far as I could take it.

One of the weekend highlights for me was when Bill gave me a large multi trunk Japanese maple to work on. Mainly he wanted me to take off all the wire and trim it. Unfortunately I was not able to finish it since I needed to get the plane back home. It was truly a memorable weekend. Thank you Bill!

Before

After

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow,this is fantastic.What the perfect season to see his garden.
Thanks for sharing.Neat Zelkova too!
Great photos of all the great trees.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice report! Would love to get the chance for an intensive workshop with bill someday

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wow,this is fantastic.What the perfect season to see his garden.
Thanks for sharing.Neat Zelkova too!
Great photos of all the great trees.

Thanks! Yes his garden looked beautiful although I think in autumn is got to be spectacular with all those maples!! Interestingly Bill told me that he keeps all his maples in full sun. He does get leaf scorch but on trees that he is planning to show or photograph for a publication he gives them more shade to keep them in good shape until autumn.

Nice report! Would love to get the chance for an intensive workshop with bill someday

Thanks Max! Bill truly eats, breathes and sleeps bonsai! His energy is infectious.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sergio:
Thanks for a nice report from your Classical Bonsai MasterClass. Looks like you enjoyed your visit and you did an excellent job working with the maple bonsai. Thanks for joining us for this special event.

Bill

Bill thanks! Indeed it was a great weekend! Thanks for letting me work on such a maple. Not the kind I want to mess up! :p

I can only imagine how inspiring that must be. Glad you went and so happy you shared it with us.

Thanks Juds! It really was. I kept taking brakes and going outside to study the trees. No better way to do it!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wonderful report. One can only imagine what it feels like to be surrounded by so many wonderful trees.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wonderful report. One can only imagine what it feels like to be surrounded by so many wonderful trees.

Thanks Al! Yes for sure! Part of the education was being around those trees. As you well know you can learn so much just by looking.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
What a great write up to accompany those awesome pictures. I'm jealous!

Tutts

Seed
Reaction score
Really good description of the weekend. Was a fantastic weekend and I working with you. - Paul

fredtruck

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This was a great report on a unique opportunity, Serg. It must have been pretty electric to have a teacher like Bill who shares your love of maples. I can just imagine the creative energy crackling!

Reaction score
I just want to second your comments on Bill's workshop and the entire experience. It was a nice meeting and talking with you Sergio. You made some very good comments and asked a lot of questions that I'm sure were on all of our minds. I'd brought a bunch of trees with me to the workshop and, while I worked mostly on one larch, Bill gave me advise on at least a dozen of the others and both he and Diane worked on a few to help get them in shape. Since I returned home, in addition to some repotting and pruning of some of those trees, I've also been putting together some companion plants to go with them. I noticed that Bill had a good variety of those to select from when we did our Tokonoma arrangements.

Best

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Really good description of the weekend. Was a fantastic weekend and I working with you. - Paul

Same here Paul. It was great working and talking to you as well. You got a beautifully done pine out of the workshop! I hope you enjoy it for years to come :)

This was a great report on a unique opportunity, Serg. It must have been pretty electric to have a teacher like Bill who shares your love of maples. I can just imagine the creative energy crackling!

Yes Fred it really was great for me the fact that Bill is another maple nut! He definitely knows his way around them. I was afraid to pick his brain so much that he would not want to see me ever again! :p

I just want to second your comments on Bill's workshop and the entire experience. It was a nice meeting and talking with you Sergio. You made some very good comments and asked a lot of questions that I'm sure were on all of our minds. I'd brought a bunch of trees with me to the workshop and, while I worked mostly on one larch, Bill gave me advise on at least a dozen of the others and both he and Diane worked on a few to help get them in shape. Since I returned home, in addition to some repotting and pruning of some of those trees, I've also been putting together some companion plants to go with them. I noticed that Bill had a good variety of those to select from when we did our Tokonoma arrangements.

Best

Great meeting you Bob! We had some great discussions and definitely a very productive weekend. My only regret was not being able to bring my own trees like you guys did.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Great report Serg! It was fun touring his garden with you and three other BNuts last year. Great environment for sure, and you got to work on some beautiful trees. Thanks for sharing the pix.

Top Bottom