My year around bonsai work in the Inland Empire, CA

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This trident maple had a first styling last week.
Before
IMG_5792.jpg IMG_5793.jpg IMG_5794.jpg

After pruning and wiring
IMG_5796.jpg
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you have any small trees LOL!!! :cool:
I like the first tree's hollow, very natural.
The big trees kept coming without any effort from me ! Yes, I do have small trees. I will show you some of them in the near future.
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I planned to transplant this pomegranate to bigger pot in few weeks, but I could not wait longer. The tree starts showing the wake up call at this time.
IMG_5963.jpg

This morning, I transplanted it. I used pumice: orchid seedling bark: fir ground with 1:0.5:0.5 ratio
IMG_5962 - Copy.jpg

As usual, I only use the twine to immobilize the tree in the pot.
IMG_5958.jpg

Because of its heaviness, I had to use Hoyer lift and hydraulic lifting cart to assist me.
Lifting the pot with Hoyer lift.
IMG_5960.jpg

Putting the hydraulic lifting cart underneath the pot
IMG_5961.jpg

Using the cotton rope to tie one end to the deadwood of the tree and the other end to the Hoyer lift
IMG_5966.jpg IMG_5967.jpg IMG_5965.jpg

Using sickle to separate the soil from the pot's wall and cranking up the Hoyer lift. The tree was out of the pot.
IMG_5968.jpg IMG_5969.jpg
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It has a lot of rootbound. After removed the rootbound in the bottom and the sides, I put the tree into the new pot. I used Hoyer lift entirely in the root work and transfer the tree into the new pot. With the tree was hung, it was so easy to rotate the tree around during root work.
The tree was in the new pot
IMG_5970.jpg

The tree was fixed in place with the twine
IMG_5971.jpg

There is a defect of the pot. The problem is that the drainage holes are not in the lowest parts of the pot's bottom. I had to use a wooden wedge to lift one side up, so the water can be drained out completely!
IMG_5973.jpg IMG_5974.jpg

I did not place this tree into the "recovering room" as I always did for other trees. The reason is that the recovering room is already being occupied by my big juniper. I think it should be ok to let it be in its usual place (at this time, it has little afternoon sun). It should be OK for pomegranate.
IMG_5975.jpg IMG_5976.jpg

Bonhe

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice trees Bonhe. Very smart to use the Hoyer/hydraulic cart combo. My trees are not quite as big as yours, but that is a very nice system you have. Thanks for sharing it, back issues are no joke!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Mcpesq817. Because I don't have any assistant, I had to think something works! ;-)
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recently put this big pomegranate for sale here, but no one wanted it! In this late afternoon, the tree "insistently demanded" me that I should keep her! Because of that, I decide to hold her back :)
She starts having some new buds. Before working.
IMG_5993.jpg

I removed all of unnecessary branches, pruned back all other branches, and wired them down.
IMG_5999.jpg IMG_6001.jpg IMG_6003.jpg

This is hollow trunk all the way from the top to the bottom. There is a small hole at the side
IMG_6004.jpg IMG_6005.jpg

I plan to remove this part in the near future to make her more taper.
IMG_6006.jpg

If I have a chance, I will transplant her to the clay pot soon; otherwise will be next winter.
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We will celebrate Vietnamese New Year ( called Tết in Vietnamese language) on 2/16/18. This flowering peach tree never failed to bloom in our special holiday. I just took its picture this morning. I expect it will be in full bloom in Tết. Northern Vietnamese considers the flowering peach is one of the Tết's symbols. Chúc mừng năm mới tới tất cả các bạn Việt Nam!
IMG_6030.jpg IMG_6032.jpg IMG_6033.jpg IMG_6034.jpg IMG_6035.jpg IMG_6036.jpg
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is flowering peach in bonsai training. I admit I did not take care it well for more than a year and it is why it gives me only few flowers this year!!! I will pay more attention on it this year.
IMG_6037.jpg IMG_6038.jpg
Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just finished changing soil for this cork oak. It had been staying in the current pot since I bought 8 years ago.
Before
IMG_6232.jpg IMG_6233.jpg

After wire removal and pruning back
IMG_6234.jpg

Its small leaf.
IMG_6236.jpg

Because of its size, I had to use Hoyer lift to assist me in transplant.
IMG_6237.jpg

The tree was removed from its pot.
IMG_6238.jpg

Its new soil includes akadama: pumice: pine bark: fir ground with ratio 1:2:2:1. The top soil is akadama: lava cinder: pine bark: fir ground with ratio 1:2:2:1
Because I ran out the twine, I did not use any thing to stabilize the tree in the pot. However, the tree seems to stay firm in the new soil!
Done
IMG_6241.jpg IMG_6242.jpg IMG_6243.jpg IMG_6244.jpg

Bonhe

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Then I place it in the "recovery room" right beneath the big guava tree.
IMG_6246.jpg IMG_6247.jpg
This area is equipped with 2 misty heads to which I let it run twice a day, 3 minutes each at this time of the year.
IMG_6248.jpg IMG_6249.jpg

I try to make root cutting from cork oak. Let see what happens.
IMG_6250.jpg

Bonhe

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks for letting us enter your "recovery room" @bonhe :) Niiiice place!
All I know about root cuttings is that those trees which sprout suckers at the base of their trunk are the ones which will give new plants from root cuttings.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for letting us enter your "recovery room" @bonhe :) Niiiice place!
All I know about root cuttings is that those trees which sprout suckers at the base of their trunk are the ones which will give new plants from root cuttings.
Thanks My Nellie.
Yes, you are absolutely correct. I have observed the oak sends out lot of root suckers (?), so it is why I give it a try.
Bonhe

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
To see the results of your experiment will be very interesting, indeed.
Good luck!

Top Bottom