Mylar Tropical Enclosure

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Ed.

So you mean a 4 foot tall, 4 foot wide box with mylar walls doesn't already make me a mad scientist??

017-32.jpg

:rolleyes:

Yea, it may already be too late !!! I guess it woudl make a difference what the box contains, if it holds miniature life forms designed to aid you in taking over the world .... but I think Ficus are not much of a worry.

ed

Last edited:

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hey Ryan! I'm building another enclosure lol. But this one will be used till I move which might be in a year. Anyway, I was given a 600 watt MH light so I framed out a 6'x6' area and am making a walk in enclosure. I ordered a 50' roll of 2mm Mylar which should be here any day.
My question is what is the thickness of the Mylar you use and is it tough/durable? I am trying to figure out a way to make a door using it.

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ryan, are there any trees that grow outside in Va? It seems like this is way too much extra work. Besides, you may find in the near future that you're gonna wanna use that bedroom for a different type of biology experiment.

Dave

P.s. not saying you've done a bad job, but the most successful growers utilize the plants that grow well naturally in their climate.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hey Ryan! I'm building another enclosure lol. But this one will be used till I move which might be in a year. Anyway, I was given a 600 watt MH light so I framed out a 6'x6' area and am making a walk in enclosure. I ordered a 50' roll of 2mm Mylar which should be here any day.
My question is what is the thickness of the Mylar you use and is it tough/durable? I am trying to figure out a way to make a door using it.

Hey Kev. The thickness of the mylar I use is really really thin. This is actually the stuff I use:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MYLAR-GROW-...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item1c27c4110f

It isn't all that durable, as anything with a corner that bumps it can tear a hole. Gotta be careful with that. I have used it as a door with success though.

Ryan, are there any trees that grow outside in Va? It seems like this is way too much extra work. Besides, you may find in the near future that you're gonna wanna use that bedroom for a different type of biology experiment.

Dave

P.s. not saying you've done a bad job, but the most successful growers utilize the plants that grow well naturally in their climate.

Yeah there are trees native to this area that could be used, but they don't interest me. This isn't too much work at all for me. It just gives me something to do in my free time, which I have a lot of. I guess I'm trying to be like Jerry Meislik, who is a very successful grower with trees that aren't native to his climate.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Where did you get the mylar from? Been thinking of doing three sides of my window sill setups to even out the light. I used clear shower curtain for the front with an overlap of about three inchs at the center to get in and out to mist and water. Also the base and tops of mine are seed starter trays so by just letting all hung inside the lower tray they get air :)

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Where did you get the mylar from? Been thinking of doing three sides of my window sill setups to even out the light. I used clear shower curtain for the front with an overlap of about three inchs at the center to get in and out to mist and water. Also the base and tops of mine are seed starter trays so by just letting all hung inside the lower tray they get air :)

I ordered mine from amazon.com. Some Home Depots carry it also but none around me.

Thanks Ryan. Initially I was going to staple the Mylar up to the studs but I think I'll put thin plywood up first to staple the Mylar to. Can't be getting holes in it. And the stuff I ordered is the same thickness as what you have and that's as thick as I've seen.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think this year I will go with Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil on the window systems. Next year if I need larger or more then try the Mylar. The fronts will remain the clear plastic. I am luckier then many because if I do the foil with a good clear tape like Scotch gift wrap tape there is little to no chance the foil will get torn here :)

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I think this year I will go with Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil on the window systems. Next year if I need larger or more then try the Mylar. The fronts will remain the clear plastic. I am luckier then many because if I do the foil with a good clear tape like Scotch gift wrap tape there is little to no chance the foil will get torn here :)

I'm not certain what you are trying to do with your set up. But aluminum foil is not that reflective. Then next step below a mirror and Mylar is flat white color. Paint something flat white such as plywood or even cardboard instead of foil.

Top Bottom