Mystery pine seeds--germination/stratification questions

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Hi,

I'll post some pictures later but I went though some pine cones I had hiking though the southern california mountains probably 5 or so years ago. I believe the seeds from these cones are somewhere around San Jacinto mountains but I can' remember for certain. That aside, how likely will seeds that are 5+ years old or so germinate. Additionally how would I go about the stratification and germination process in Southern California where winters aren't cold?

The seeds are most likely jeffery or ponderosa pines, but I don't know for certain.

Thanks,
Julian

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Seeds of some 2 needle and 3 needle pines are still 50% or better viable stored cool and dry for over 10 years. Most 5 needle pines drop below 50% viable in less than 18 months. So it all depends on the species. Same with stratification, some need no stratification, most, even if they don't absolutely need stratification will have more uniform germination with a cold stratification. Some, particularly 5 needle pines need a warm stratification followed by a cold stratification. So again, it all depends on the species.

Because you are in Southern California, why don't you just plant them in a flat outside, mark the flat, and see what comes up. Give it two full winters and two full summers before you give up. All pine seedlings will look like they are single needled until they grow some, then later the first summer, or sometimes the second year, they will start producing true needle bundles. So you won't be able to tell the 2 needle pines from the 5 needle pines until the second or third year.

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
If they germinate, and they may not, you might id them earlier based upon the number of cotyledons, it can help you id pines. I'd have to look up the number of seed leaves for each species you're talking about.

But for example I grew some seeds of Pinus maximartinezii, when I saw the seed leaves I knew the seeds were true to type because they had over 20, the most of any pine.

Top Bottom