Nandina domestica "Fire Power" - What's wrong?

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hey folks, I've got this Nandina Domestica "Fire Power" from a nursery last winter and she has been doing pretty well until this summer. In the spring she produced nice lush green foliage and i gave her balanced fertilizier every 2 weeks. She was receiving direct morning sunlight up untill 1pm everyday. Suddenly i had to move in to a different place where it gets direct sunlight after 3pm. After i changed my location, the plant started to act strange. Lush green foliage started to feel crispy and they began to change colour on the tips. I though it's the excessive salt in the soil at first and I did give her a bath, started to use distilled water for a while but she kept getting worse. After a while, she started to shed foliage and today i checked her again and she is still shedding and turning colors. Also, I want to report that bark of the Nandina has turned into black gradually starting from top. What am i doing wrong? How can i save her?

(Using semi-inorganic soil - watering schedule is once in 2 days)

Sorry about my English, I'm not native.

Attachments

• 291D13EF-5072-4B05-B720-447B7B5B6F60.png
    291D13EF-5072-4B05-B720-447B7B5B6F60.png
    342.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 56DA99D9-B94C-4E0F-872E-7854734AC00C.jpeg
    56DA99D9-B94C-4E0F-872E-7854734AC00C.jpeg
    232.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 55E17A90-8D9B-40BC-B660-268B8E062BA4.jpeg
    55E17A90-8D9B-40BC-B660-268B8E062BA4.jpeg
    234.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 4F4C2683-93E8-44D5-921E-BF045CDB9C85.jpeg
    4F4C2683-93E8-44D5-921E-BF045CDB9C85.jpeg
    228.4 KB · Views: 36
  • A8CFA6F9-B220-40D1-8209-5EFA5C31BF25.jpeg
    A8CFA6F9-B220-40D1-8209-5EFA5C31BF25.jpeg
    204.5 KB · Views: 39
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hey folks, I've got this Nandina Domestica "Fire Power" from a nursery last winter and she has been doing pretty well until this summer. In the spring she produced nice lush green foliage and i gave her balanced fertilizier every 2 weeks. She was receiving direct morning sunlight up untill 1pm everyday. Suddenly i had to move in to a different place where it gets direct sunlight after 3pm. After i changed my location, the plant started to act strange. Lush green foliage started to feel crispy and they began to change colour on the tips. I though it's the excessive salt in the soil at first and I did give her a bath, started to use distilled water for a while but she kept getting worse. After a while, she started to shed foliage and today i checked her again and she is still shedding and turning colors. Also, I want to report that bark of the Nandina has turned into black gradually starting from top. What am i doing wrong? How can i save her?

(Using semi-inorganic soil - watering schedule is once in 2 days)

Sorry about my English, I'm not native.
A superficial googling pretty much answers all your questions. Heavenly Bamboo is tolerant of full day direct sun up until zones 9+. Given that the browning correlated directly with you relocating it into a brighter location I find it extremely difficult to believe its another factor.

bbelbuken

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
A superficial googling pretty much answers all your questions. Heavenly Bamboo is tolerant of full day direct sun up until zones 9+. Given that the browning correlated directly with you relocating it into a brighter location I find it extremely difficult to believe its another factor.
I actually relocated into a darker location. The place i live right now receives less sun light than the place we were live before. Maybe the water quality has decreased in some way?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This forum is comprised of adults. Your arrogance is not appreciated here.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This forum is comprised of adults. Your arrogance is not appreciated here.
If providing an answer to somebodies question while pointing them to a free, near-universal resource for answers is arrogance then I suppose I need an English lesson in addition to my humility one. I treat people like adults by holding them to the standard that they do the bare minimum of research on an issue they're facing themselves.

I actually relocated into a darker location. The place i live right now receives less sun light than the place we were live before. Maybe the water quality has decreased in some way?
Hottest point in the day is about 3pm, from noon the heat gradually builds to that point. So if you had a plant that was only getting direct sunlight in the am hours until 1 when it was comparatively cool you might've been just barely skirting the range the plant couldn't tolerate. If its now abruptly shifted to a position in which its receiving the hottest temperatures it could be exposed to, then logic follows that its barely hardy to that USDA zone and may flounder. Naturally I cant rule out any other factor, but given how closely you are dancing on heat tolerance for that species, that would be my first guess, hard to tell with how dessicated its become though.

Top Bottom