Napa Oil Dry part no. 8822

JoeH

Omono
Reaction score
The Florida Citrus Arboretum, Winter Haven,Florida
USDA Zone
9B
I dunno, made by the same people. It is suppose to be the "premium" version (whatever that means). It's just a better product for me, used it on my better trees and they still drain well. Pretty sure we have been over this before. Use it or don't use it, I don't really care, I just thought i'd share what I use, my short exp with both, as this is my 4th year.
Like I said before it has less dust, bigger particles. I've used both, they both break down in a few years ( I use organic fertilizer). Napa 8822 is just a lot of work to sift out for me, not that anything is easy. For what it is worth, Napa is easier to get and slightly cheaper. I'm still using both if i need too.
Points are mute anyways. I have 2 choices up here, DE or calc clay oil absorbent.
Here is a 'link' to other people's take on it.... sorry @Bonsai Nut if t's not permitted.
Ok well the stuff I found seems to be a decent product so far. Time will tell on it, but for the money and the ease of obtaining its a good deal. I was questioning milehigh7s last comment. I tried to get some Optisorb but Tractor Supply was out and they tried to sell me an open bag? So we went down to Rural King and I discovered what should be a better alternative. Plus free popcorn at the store too!!

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Ok well the stuff I found seems to be a decent product so far. Time will tell on it, but for the money and the ease of obtaining its a good deal. I was questioning milehigh7s last comment. I tried to get some Optisorb but Tractor Supply was out and they tried to sell me an open bag? So we went down to Rural King and I discovered what should be a better alternative. Plus free popcorn at the store too!!
Good luck :) Use whatever works for you! ;) Didn't even know TSC carried it....i've never seen them sell it up here.

Flounder61

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorce-bought a bag. Will be using it. Thanks for the advice.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorce-bought a bag. Will be using it. Thanks for the advice.
#8822 changed my life. when it comes to ancient life I’d happily take a stocking full of it. if I found an old truck with one of those yellow hats on top in good condition I’d drive around with my head out the window looking to the front corner of the bed

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I still have several Junipers in a mixture of Fullers Earth 40%, Pearlite 20%, lava rock 20%, and aquarium charcoal 20%. I haven’t lost one in this mixture and had some nice growth this fall. The freezing weather this winter will be the final test to see if I use this mixture again. The Fullers Earth is available at Tractor Supply.

My first impression of Fuller’s Earth is it sucks for bonsai. With the warmer weather I thought I would give the trees a drink. I noticed my Junipers planted in the FE didn’t drain quickly like they should. I took one of them and removed the tree and found that the FE had pretty much disintegrated to clay/ mush. I now have a lot of work repotting where I thought I was going to have an easy spring. :mad:

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I talked to EP Minerals. They have two sources for DE for NAPA 8822, one is the harder product that I like. About 20% that goes to my NAPA store has been the softer stuff. So I will buy it with caution. Maybe the store will let me check it before I buy it.
The EP Minerals representative was very helpful.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've had all good so far. I am reusing some 3yrs. Dry it out, sift it, rinse it and good as new.
Hope my store keeps getting the good stuff. How can you tell the difference? Same packaging?

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've had all good so far. I am reusing some 3yrs. Dry it out, sift it, rinse it and good as new.
Hope my store keeps getting the good stuff. How can you tell the difference? Same packaging?
Same packaging. The good stuff is slightly pinkish tan when dry and turns multiple shades of brown when wet. Less good stuff is greyer and does not change colors when wet.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I was given several bags of NAPA #8822 this year and I sifted one bag. I got less than half that seemed to be usable that didn't go thru my smallest sifting screen. Does anyone have pictures of rootballs that were growing in this stuff?

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One season in a pond basket coming out of 6in nursery can in April. I'm not selling the stuff, just sharing my experience.

Attachments

• IMG_20190209_120300376.jpg
    IMG_20190209_120300376.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_20190209_120306972.jpg
    IMG_20190209_120306972.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 159

Sunwyrm

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorry if this has already been asked in the thread, but I just got done with sifting an entire bag of Napa (and I'm tired!), and only came away with enough for one pond basket. 2 hours later, and a little DE in my eyes.... I wanted to ask:
1) if there's an easier way to sift it? I ended up sifting with a pond basket, as my 1/4 sieve wasn't getting anything :confused:
2) does one pond basket of sifted DE per bag of Napa seem right?
3) what can handle being in this stuff unsifted, if anything, and for how long?

I repotted my "practice" silver maple ROR this afternoon with my resulting soil. Was hoping to get several repotted to test out how they do right before @sorce 's full moon, but I only have 2 more bags of Napa to sift through.

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Sunwyrm, I think you're going about it the wrong way. Most Napa 8822 I've seen will almost all go through a 1/4" screen. I would just screen the fines out (1/16" + or -) and use everything else. I usually get 60-70% yield out of a bag. If you actually want 1/4" particle size, Napa 8822 is not a good choice for you.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Sunwyrm, I think you're going about it the wrong way. Most Napa 8822 I've seen will almost all go through a 1/4" screen. I would just screen the fines out (1/16" + or -) and use everything else. I usually get 60-70% yield out of a bag. If you actually want 1/4" particle size, Napa 8822 is not a good choice for you.
You should use a really fine screen like the kind you find on a screen door to sift out the fines. Save the fines and toss them in a flat with some fines you sift out of a bag of Pine Bark mulch and you have the makings for something for moss to grow on. Save the stuff that does not fall through the screen for your bonsai soil.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry if this has already been asked in the thread, but I just got done with sifting an entire bag of Napa (and I'm tired!), and only came away with enough for one pond basket. 2 hours later, and a little DE in my eyes.... I wanted to ask:
1) if there's an easier way to sift it? I ended up sifting with a pond basket, as my 1/4 sieve wasn't getting anything :confused:
2) does one pond basket of sifted DE per bag of Napa seem right?
3) what can handle being in this stuff unsifted, if anything, and for how long?

I repotted my "practice" silver maple ROR this afternoon with my resulting soil. Was hoping to get several repotted to test out how they do right before @sorce 's full moon, but I only have 2 more bags of Napa to sift through.
I do like Vance said. I get the dust out and that's it.
I lose maybe 2 cup fulls per bag. I mix it with lava that's larger.
And guess what?
Come to find out you dont need particles of all the same size.
It doesn't compact or any of the myths that are out there saying everything needs to be the same size in your mix.

Sunwyrm

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks all. I figured I must've been doing it wrong, if it was so much effort for such a little amount!

Dan92119

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
@Sunwrym You do not want to breathe the dust or get in your eyes. Very bad for you!
If I am going to use it right away I usually wash it through screen. That way the dust isn’t flying all over the place.

Sunwyrm

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks @Dan92119 - I was at least using a mask, and got glasses right after that happened. Good idea on just washing it. Wish I'd done this in the summer!

Tommykeolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
20190424_201111-picsay.jpg

For the o.g. of the #8822 crew, this is the "grey crappy mix" isnt it?

I noticed in the pictures that the majority of the bags of 8822 have a nice color even when dry, with multiple shades of browns/yellows/pink/red, as well as the fact that the mix per region has become a topic in this thread. I should also add when this is saturated I can turn it into mud fairly easily by hand just pinching and rolling a few pieces between my fingers.

Top Bottom