Need advise on Chinese Elm

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Let's start over again.
I'm trying to save my 20+ year old Chinese Elm that has black spot. I have tried a couple of different fungicides with no results.
Now. At no point did I say I wanted to keep my tree indoors forever. My intention was to keep it indoors until it's healthy again.
Why indoors you ask? When your battling black spot disease you're supposed to keep the foliage from getting wet, correct?.
If you read my original post I mentioned how I can't keep the water off of it because of morning dew.
I understand that a lot of you live in the west coast and may not get morning dew, but here in NJ everything is wet in the mornings even when it doesn't rain.

I have 3 tropicals that I bring indoors during the colder months and they do great under artificial lighting. In fact they put out a lot of growth during the winter months by using 200wt equivalent cfl bulbs.( once again. I only want to bring it indoors until it get's better).

I've been keeping Bonsai trees for 15 years and I have never had a black spot problem. This is why I'm looking for help and not someone to correct how I write or spell a word.

Thanks.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My intention was to keep it indoors until it's healthy again.

This is kind of contradictory.

It's kind of like jumping in a closet for a couple weeks if you have a fever.

Putting it in an environment not healthy for it will Probly only cause more problems.

I read about someone putting a fan on things outside....maybe you can put a fan on it overnight to keep the dew off?

If Jerry said he battled this for 3 years...
Hell....I would almost just throw it out!

But I don't know for sure it's blackspot cuz I don't know what it is...
I get black spots on my elms...
But I got root issues.

Sorce

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Let's start over again.
I'm trying to save my 20+ year old Chinese Elm that has black spot. I have tried a couple of different fungicides with no results.
Now. At no point did I say I wanted to keep my tree indoors forever. My intention was to keep it indoors until it's healthy again.
Why indoors you ask? When your battling black spot disease you're supposed to keep the foliage from getting wet, correct?.
If you read my original post I mentioned how I can't keep the water off of it because of morning dew.
I understand that a lot of you live in the west coast and may not get morning dew, but here in NJ everything is wet in the mornings even when it doesn't rain.

I have 3 tropicals that I bring indoors during the colder months and they do great under artificial lighting. In fact they put out a lot of growth during the winter months by using 200wt equivalent cfl bulbs.( once again. I only want to bring it indoors until it get's better).

I've been keeping Bonsai trees for 15 years and I have never had a black spot problem. This is why I'm looking for help and not someone to correct how I write or spell a word.

Thanks.

You aren't the only one who agrees with you. I'm not going to jump in to the argument that they are trying to cause, for some reason, but I do commend you on trying to stay above it all. Please try not to tar us all with the same brush, usually the forum is very helpful.

Some of the advice to keep it inside, and advice in general, will be a little blunt but you can trust in some of the people's experience and that they do know quite well. Doesn't stop you from having a differing opinion of course :).

I agree with Sorce, putting it in an environment, like inside, which is not as healthy for it and also DIFFERENT to what it's used to, may only be inviting more problems. It's a tricky one, it sounds like, sorry :/. Puts some pics up? You sound some what experienced but maybe it's not even this particular disease, could be something else entirely? Never know, and it's always best to explore every avenue.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have an elm indoors under a 900w LED as an experiment. It has only been in there for a week or so.

Would love to know how this goes. I'm not planning on using any indoor lighting or anything like that, hopefully ever, but in the name of science, it's always good to have an experiment and see it's results :)

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Let's start over again.

Thanks.
If you're absolutely certain it is black spot and not a root issue, here is how to treat. First, know that black spot will not kill your plant. It will make it look ugly and possibly weaken it slightly, but that' no reason to baby the plant.

Treat the plant monthly with a copper fungicide until leaf drop. *Always cover the soil when treating with fungicide.* Copper fungicides don't get rid of fungus but stop them from reproducing. After leaves have all dropped, you may have to help them being it's an elm, treat with a dormant horticultural oil following the manufacturer's suggestions. Make sure you clean up all of the leaves you can from the garden. In late winter, when daily high temps are in the mid- to upper- 50 range but before buds swell, treat the bare plant with diluted lime sulfur. The ratio I use is 1:12 lime sulfur to water. I've heard others use up to 1:8.

I have found this to be extremely effective in my climate, which is probably very similar to yours. @markyscott shared a post with a similar routine. Talk to people in your area to see if they might have any more specific advice.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks Stan.

I'm not sure if copper is one of Daconil's fungicide ingredients. This is what I used. I'll check.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's obvious that people get their stripes here not by knowledge but by posting ignorant comments.
What a waste of forum space......
You got a good reply from Zach like 4 posts in.
I would go with that.
And Jerry Norburys response.
You've already treated it with something or other twice already. To no effect. So far. Trees are in a different time zone as us. It takes a while for them to show signs of recovering.
But if you are going to put it inside make sure to use the 20 watt light bulb and hair dryer treatment I suggested. That way the trees death won't take forever.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Let's start over again.

Thanks.

The problem is you've had your answer for a while now and you keep wanting to argue about bringing it inside. It tends to annoy people when you ask for their help and then argue about it.

So I'll give you what you want. I think your best bet is to bring the tree inside and put it under a light until the threat of morning dew is gone. I'm sure that will cure the problem.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is no cure for black spot on elms. Thats why you get no help. It's like V. wilt on maples.

What you can do is this. Defoliate entire tree. Clean all leaves from top of pot. Burn all the leaves. Dilute hydrogen peroxide 50 percent and put in spray bottle. Spray entire tree skeleton and the soil with spray. Do this every other day. Put this tree in full sun and water as needed only watering the soil. Don't worry about the dew. The dew only forms when the sun comes up and in full sun this should not be a problem. High 80's is no problem for an elm. I have mine in full sun and I have temps in the mid 100's for weeks at a time.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's obvious that people get their stripes here not by knowledge but by posting ignorant comments.
What a waste of forum space......
Ignorance is calling people ignorant until you have reviewed their contributions to this forum. I can guarantee I did not earn mine by being ignorant.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Yeah i find that annoying. I wasn't giving advice because i have no clue about it, i was simple talking about using google voice. Seems a bit lazy and ironically doesn't work very well...at least for me. If the ignorance claim was for me then i highly doubt it. I have to agree with some here, you seem determined to keep it indoors. That was one of the first suggestions...to take it outside. Elms get all kinds of fungus on the leaves around here, i just thought it was part of the territory. What is better to help keep foliage dry than the sun? Unless you live in a rain forest.
I agree with smoke's suggestion.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just for the record. I didn't call anybody ignorant, all I said was there were ignorant comments posted.
Even the smartest people sometimes make ignorant comments, look at Donald Trump:D

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Stan.

I'm not sure if copper is one of Daconil's fungicide ingredients. This is what I used. I'll check.
Daconil is not a copper-based fungicide. There is a specific chemical (copper sulfate? can't remember) that is used as a fungicide, you should be able to find it at most decent nurseries and maybe even places like Lowes.

Many people alternate daconil and copper fungicides. It's what I do. That said, I still have issues with my chinese elm. Haven't quite figured it out yet.

Top Bottom