Need help with some bugs!! It's really breaking me!

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've noticed a plethora of ant activity in my pots that have organics in them. So much so, that drainage has actually become an issue with a few, even though they were re-potted this year!

Ant moats, baiting with traps, sure. But can I just spray some death spray into the soil and begon with the bastards? Will anti-ant death spray harm the tree? Any thoughts. It's getting really frustrating over here.

Right now spray of choice is Ortho Ant B Gon Max. The borax and sugar water mix wasn't cutting it.

I typically use one of these to get rid of ants:
154061-004-4126DACE.jpg

but on a serious note on the link below there is a list of 10 ways some of which you may not have tried yet, hope it helps!

http://gardenflorida.org/tampa-heights-community-garden/what-do-about-ants-0

Pads

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I applied some max force quantum gel around the pots which is a slow killer so ants carry it in the nest. No need for ground spray. Just make sure kids do not touch the pots.

Rambles

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've had good luck with the Terro spikes. Place them near an existing ant trail and within two weeks, the ant population diminishes significantly. And sprays are generally pretty ineffective for outdoor control of ants.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Systemics.
Get Bayer granuals and you won't see another aphid. People always act like they are so easy to rub off or s quick or buy lady bugs. Those are all temporary solutions and won't keep them from feasting on your plants. Apply a little bayer to the soil surface, blast/squish them one last time and you won't see another aphid or harmful bug on your plant the rest of the year.

Also, the feed-in systemics do not harm the insects that don't eat your trees! (Unlike any sprays you may use that kill most anything close by) and as long as you don't use them on blooming plants, shouldn't hurt the bees either. We are also talking about using it on self contained SMALL plants, so the overall environmental impact is very limited beyond the Microsystems we apply it to... they do not work on mites generally. Spider Mites still need some safer soap or something like that..

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Systemics.
Get Bayer granuals and you won't see another aphid. People always act like they are so easy to rub off or s quick or buy lady bugs. Those are all temporary solutions and won't keep them from feasting on your plants. Apply a little bayer to the soil surface, blast/squish them one last time and you won't see another aphid or harmful bug on your plant the rest of the year.

Also, the feed-in systemics do not harm the insects that don't eat your trees! (Unlike any sprays you may use that kill most anything close by) and as long as you don't use them on blooming plants, shouldn't hurt the bees either. We are also talking about using it on self contained SMALL plants, so the overall environmental impact is very limited beyond the Microsystems we apply it to... they do not work on mites generally. Spider Mites still need some safer soap or something like that..
And if you have D.E. in your substrate you don't get bugs that often.
I have zero bugs with systemics and Napa floor dry.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've had good luck with the Terro spikes. Place them near an existing ant trail and within two weeks, the ant population diminishes significantly. And sprays are generally pretty ineffective for outdoor control of ants.

Thank you. I think this might be the best solution to try for ant problems in pots. Frequent watering I fear may wash out other products, but this seems to be made for flower beds, potted plants etc. Through a quick online search, Terro spikes don't seem to be available over here, but the RAID and WILSON equivalents seem to be readily available. Will give it a shot.

Rambles

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thank you. I think this might be the best solution to try for ant problems in pots. Frequent watering I fear may wash out other products, but this seems to be made for flower beds, potted plants etc. Through a quick online search, Terro spikes don't seem to be available over here, but the RAID and WILSON equivalents seem to be readily available. Will give it a shot.

Between the raid and the wilson product, I liked the wilson one better, though the raid one felt sturdier at the time.

Top Bottom