Need some styling advice on this Ficus Ben!!

Reaction score
Need some advice on styling this tree. I want to make it look like the "the 2 styled pictures". When I go this tree it was this size last year. Last summer I wired the the branches down a little as they were sticking up to give it some kind of look. Still not knowing what I wanted to do with it and the few only had leaves at tips of branches, I let it all grow out this spring so far to figure out what I wanted to do with it. So I was on the internet last night and came across these pictures. This is what I want to do!!! Any advice on how to even start off getting it prepared and shaped for this look in the future??

*The 3 pictures are of my tree. The 2 internet pics is what I'm aiming for.

Attachments

• IMG_3221.PNG
    IMG_3221.PNG
    375 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_3222.PNG
    IMG_3222.PNG
    329.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_3425.JPG
    IMG_3425.JPG
    351 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_3426.JPG
    IMG_3426.JPG
    316.9 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3427.JPG
    IMG_3427.JPG
    305.6 KB · Views: 93

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You should start by planting your tree deeper in the soil. In order to improve nebaeri, you want to have the base of the tree in the substrate, so new roots may form.
I am not sure of the climate in Jersey. Here I do not get enough growth on Ficus B to really close pruning scars the size of yours. So I guess you will keep that for a long time. However, to start closing it, you should consider reducing the stump and make it a natural extension frmo what you have now as a new leader. Then let it grow for a few years. Make sure you give attention to the lower branches: They should get lots of sun or you will loose them. So let the leader of the trunk grow out, but keep side-branches on top of the canopy of your intended tree short. (Have a look at how to keep sacrifice branches clean at their base)

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe you will like this one ----------- from a lady in the Canadian Bonsai Society.
Probably 3 feet tall

And oh watch your trees twisting roots, you can grow a better solution ---- I have faith in you.
Good Day
Anthony

f5.jpg

Reaction score
Are you able to take my picture and draw on it? Because I'm trying to get a better idea of what your saying about keeping the leader but reducing the trunk. Thanks

choppychoppy

Chumono
Reaction score
Are you able to take my picture and draw on it? Because I'm trying to get a better idea of what your saying about keeping the leader but reducing the trunk. Thanks

2017-06-09 07.31.20.jpg

So the trunk 'orange arrow' should get carved down to create a better transition point for the new leader. The new leader 'blue arrow' should be allowed to grow unchecked for a couple seasons to about triple the thickness. This will create a better transition as some taper. The lower section is a bit even but the only solution there is a hard low chop. Choose a front and remove any branches comin right at you and continue to develop the top and the nebari. You've got some uneven roots and they are a bit heavy and higher on one side so concentrate on fixing the issues there as well.

Reaction score
Ok got it. Figured that's what you were saying. So how do I go by doing it. Saw it right down on a angle? I don't believe I have and clippers that open wide enough to do it. About 2inch trunk

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sawing is an option. I prefer to use clippers. I think you are about to wreck your tools if you think bonsai clippers are used to cut through 2 inches. The way to go is with patience: Clip small bites of wood and that way pare down the stump. It will keep you occupied for a bit. Naturallly, a dremel or other wood grinder will be usefull to, if you prefer that method. :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Kevvy Kev Kev!

Don't know if you are familiar with FVG's....
Future Vision Goggles....

But they are very important, and having the right prescription is absolutely key!

Please allow me to change your prescription.

aviary-image-1497088591787.jpeg

create a better transition

The circled transitions here...
Frosty the Cracked out snowman...

Straight..bar branches creating bulge...
Straight...bar branches creating bulge....
Up up up...

Not good for FV!

Worse yet...
A California tree can be corrected in a season with proper,(IMO easy) management.
Yet, this tree...which I remember a video of from 6 years ago, is still on Google like this.

Anyway....

Better one...
(flip)
Or 2...
ficus-benjamina-bonsai.jpg

Note the trunk peek-ins have movement and division.
Note...
You can't see any bar branches causing bulges...
Judging by the excellent pot and stand, one can assume there are none...or if they do exist, they are properly hidden with the evergreen(mostly) foliage of the tree.

This tree successfully breaks the "no crossing trunk" rule.
And arguably...
The unglazed pot rule...
Which isn't really a rule for this tree anymore...cuz it looks ancient!

Kicker....

I understand you may have selected this tree cuz it's form is similar to yours....
However...
Just as easy as it is to...
grow a better solution
For your roots....

You CAN grow a better solution for the top!

Including chopping it down and growing it into specimen 2. (not that you should)

But your blank canvas is growing!
Observe it to wonderful!*
*that sounds as good as Welcome to Crazy!

Observe it to wonderful!

You say NJ stands for New Jersey...

I say it stands for NO JUNK!

Hit em wit it!

Sorce

Reaction score
Wow man straight to the point and very detailed!!! Wish all my questions I search for for about bonsai were this easy past couple years. What are some tree spieces you specialize in? Love yo ask ya a few other questions in the future if you could help out

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
You could always go for the natural (istic) style.:rolleyes:beni-1-1.jpg beni-3-1.jpg

Reaction score
Yeah the natural look looks good as well. I just don't want it to look like its weeping. How they do when shoots get long. Don't want it looking like a tree in a doctors office ha ha

Top Bottom