Need styling advice

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is a obtusa nana ive started to wire,ive left the top alone,i have a nice branch growing in the front close to the top,should i make this the leader and chop,or leave alone?also as you can see i have the tree wired as a double trunk,should i leave it that way?or do away with the second trunk?anykind of help would be appreciated.I left the lower right branch until i decide on which style.

Attachments

• obtusa nana2 002.jpg
    obtusa nana2 002.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 40
  • obtusa nana2 001.jpg
    obtusa nana2 001.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 30

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
This is a obtusa nana ive started to wire,ive left the top alone,i have a nice branch growing in the front close to the top,should i make this the leader and chop,or leave alone?also as you can see i have the tree wired as a double trunk,should i leave it that way?or do away with the second trunk?anykind of help would be appreciated.I left the lower right branch until i decide on which style.

Hey Mike,

Not sure if you will like this or not? But as I see the tree now I see nothing in it, nothing that will ever become a good tree or anything that has a future. But if you tilt it quite a bit, photoshop 30 degrees, then it has some potential.... Let it beknown that I am not a fan of these trees, the foliage just isn't that good for working as bonsai, and very rarely do you see a nice or good one.

But with yours I think you can tilt it to the right, bring the branches down quite a bit and thin the foliage A BUNCH MORE!!! Make sure to keep foliage that is in close but thin shoots in crotches of branches, weak branches and thin spindley stuff. THis could be an elegant, thin and whispy tree that has a nice future for bonsai.

Just my 2cents, lol!! Hope this helps.... :)
discussmike.jpg

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the virt Jason,thats something i have not thought of,interesting,im gonna tilt the tree some and see what im working with..

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Jason,im here for advice from more experienced artist,i appreciate the truth,good or bad.I'd hate to waste years of work for no good outcome.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The lower portion of the trunk looks like it would need some movement to make it acceptable on a slant,its so thick,i dont know if ill be able to apply enough bend,if i cant i might just plant this one in the yard,common nurseries around my way are filled with this species and they are rather cheap 35$ to be exact,so if it does not work out,its another learning experience for me.

Top Bottom