Nerifolia and boxwood indoor - Feedback needed

devenomized

Yamadori
Reaction score
Please see attachment.

8 yr Boxwood with roots over rock
6 yr old nerifolia
26yr old nerifolia

Purchased two weeks ago from Samurai Gardens and Ocala Bonsai Studio.

Indoor setup
  • warm air humidifier next to bonsais
  • Large window facing SW with temperature reaching in the 80s
  • Room air temp 70-90F
  • 6 lights setup on timer for 14hrs some lights close to plants
  • organic fertilizer added on 4/28 (half the amount recommended)
  • Humidity meters, but i check soil. I also have a water bottle sprayer to make sure the moss does not dry up.

I'm making sure the soil is moist and not too wet. The boxwood is showing growth while the nerifolia has lost may be one leaf. plants look healthy, but they've only been in my office for about 2 weeks. I understand bonsai trees need sunlight and 99% of the time should be outdoors. I'm hoping my setup would provide sufficient light, humidify, and the care for these two species. I'm planning for the potential requirement for the plants to be outside and if i have to, i will bring them home and keep them out during the summer months. Personally, I was hoping this set up would work and i'm here to ask for feedback on what else i can do to keep the trees in my office. Like i said, they look good, but two weeks is no enough to determine if it is working.

thoughts?

Here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3VYdqcea68&sns=em

Attachments

• msg0420344812356.0420371716340.jpg
    msg0420344812356.0420371716340.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 68

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The willow leafs (Ficus Nerifolia) thrive inside with good lighting as they are more shade tolerant. The Boxwood may need more light, although that looks like a great light source you have supplied. I would watch the Ficus do not get to much light, they are like understory trees and do not require direct sunlight.

ed

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi devenomized,

Set-up looks good, I would suggest to upgrade the light to liner florescent. In my experience growing indoors, (for ficus species at least) humidifiers are not necessary. A fan to circulate the air would be more helpful, especially for pest control.

I have learned over the years of growing indoors to let your trees acclimate to your growing conditions rather than creating a growing area to accommodate your trees.

Here is a pic of my old setup that is very similar to yours and the smaller version on this tread http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?14923-New-indoor-growing-set-up

The things we do for our kids...........:rolleyes:

Eric

Attachments

• IMG_4524.jpg
    IMG_4524.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 34

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I thought all boxwood found in the US are temperate species and need some kind of dormancy period?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I thought all boxwood found in the US are temperate species and need some kind of dormancy period?

I was thinking the same as I only every see them outdoors here... *shrugs*

Grimmy

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Please see attachment.

8 yr Boxwood with roots over rock
6 yr old nerifolia
26yr old nerifolia

Purchased two weeks ago from Samurai Gardens and Ocala Bonsai Studio.

Indoor setup
  • warm air humidifier next to bonsais
  • Large window facing SW with temperature reaching in the 80s
  • Room air temp 70-90F
  • 6 lights setup on timer for 14hrs some lights close to plants
  • organic fertilizer added on 4/28 (half the amount recommended)
  • Humidity meters, but i check soil. I also have a water bottle sprayer to make sure the moss does not dry up.

I'm making sure the soil is moist and not too wet. The boxwood is showing growth while the nerifolia has lost may be one leaf. plants look healthy, but they've only been in my office for about 2 weeks. I understand bonsai trees need sunlight and 99% of the time should be outdoors. I'm hoping my setup would provide sufficient light, humidify, and the care for these two species. I'm planning for the potential requirement for the plants to be outside and if i have to, i will bring them home and keep them out during the summer months. Personally, I was hoping this set up would work and i'm here to ask for feedback on what else i can do to keep the trees in my office. Like i said, they look good, but two weeks is no enough to determine if it is working.

thoughts?

Here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3VYdqcea68&sns=em
I wish you luck with these indoors, especially the boxwood. I dont have problems with the light with my boxes. They like morning sun and get washed out looking if they are exposed to hot summer sun in the afternoon. I have never tried mine indoors, and would worry about such a nice specimen, because when you find out it isnt happy, it could be well down the slope to damage or worse. You can always take that home and try a bougainvillea in your office. They like warm dry climes. Keep a close eye on the box.

devenomized

Yamadori
Reaction score
I wish you luck with these indoors, especially the boxwood. I dont have problems with the light with my boxes. They like morning sun and get washed out looking if they are exposed to hot summer sun in the afternoon. I have never tried mine indoors, and would worry about such a nice specimen, because when you find out it isnt happy, it could be well down the slope to damage or worse. You can always take that home and try a bougainvillea in your office. They like warm dry climes. Keep a close eye on the box.

I appreciate the honest feedback. I'm open to taking them home for the summer, but I was trying to create an indoor environment for them. what are your thoughts about the box's roots that are growing over the rock? these roots are covered with moss and i've been spraying them to keep them moist. Not sure if that's detrimental for them.

devenomized

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi devenomized,

Set-up looks good, I would suggest to upgrade the light to liner florescent. In my experience growing indoors, (for ficus species at least) humidifiers are not necessary. A fan to circulate the air would be more helpful, especially for pest control.

I have learned over the years of growing indoors to let your trees acclimate to your growing conditions rather than creating a growing area to accommodate your trees.

Here is a pic of my old setup that is very similar to yours and the smaller version on this tread http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?14923-New-indoor-growing-set-up

The things we do for our kids...........:rolleyes:

Eric

I like the setup. I'll get a fan as you mentioned.

devenomized

Yamadori
Reaction score
I would suggest to upgrade the light to liner florescent.

Facilities only allows the type of lamps you see. I purchased a few more today. Watering is my next skill to master. I don't want a heavy hand and kill the trees.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I've never known anyone to keep a boxwood indoors. But the ficus should do ok. Give it as much supplemental lighting as you can - you'd be surprised how much the light levels drop from one side of the glass to the other.

Scott

devenomized

Yamadori
Reaction score
I've never known anyone to keep a boxwood indoors. But the ficus should do ok. Give it as much supplemental lighting as you can - you'd be surprised how much the light levels drop from one side of the glass to the other.

Scott

The option to take home still there. I'll do my best to take care of it. Time will tell if the additional lights will help or not. I also purchased a self watering system.

http://www.amazon.com/CONTINENTAL-AWS-10-Automatic-Watering-containers/dp/B007NHRYH0

Top Bottom