New benches

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
setup.individual drip lines to each pot or a sprayer that will cover all pots?

I was thinking about this the other day because the only problem I can find with excessive soak watering is where you don't want bark to be excessively and constantly soaked.

So for those I would use concentrated drips.

There is a pest deterring benefit to blasting water up the underside of some trees also though.

These are my "it depends'"

Sorce

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
I was thinking about this the other day because the only problem I can find with excessive soak watering is where you don't want bark to be excessively and constantly soaked.

There is a pest deterring benefit to blasting water up the underside of some trees also though.

Sorce

My second preference for individual drips is the few trees I have in normal.soil where it will take.me.2 years to get them to bonsai soil if they make it. Individual drips would allow me to controll how much water each pot gets to avoid too moist soil on those .

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
too moist soil on

The problem I find with "too moist soil" or more particularly, trying to control it....

Well...the balancing act of "wet enough" and "wait till it's dry" is simply too delicate, and quite frankly, impossible. (Though some think they can overcome it.)

See my thread "Watering BS".

In a tiny pot, there is wet or dry really, in between is certainly killing roots.

More success is had to take this absolutely soak em approach, but avoid problems due to it.

Truth, a soil can be so moisture retaining, it doesn't need water for days.
Those days are the days that the actual root rot fungus can take hold due to lack of flushing.

Truth, that same tree can be watered the next day, with near no change to moisture level, but this action will flush the fungals. We can do this while also avoiding actual overwatering damage that can occur to the bark,etc.

So why Not water daily and just avoid the problems it does cause?

It is safer.

Sorce

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those benches look too nice to put plants on!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Sorce
Absolutely.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
The problem I find with "too moist soil" or more particularly, trying to control it....

Well...the balancing act of "wet enough" and "wait till it's dry" is simply too delicate, and quite frankly, impossible. (Though some think they can overcome it.)

See my thread "Watering BS".

In a tiny pot, there is wet or dry really, in between is certainly killing roots.

More success is had to take this absolutely soak em approach, but avoid problems due to it.

Truth, a soil can be so moisture retaining, it doesn't need water for days.
Those days are the days that the actual root rot fungus can take hold due to lack of flushing.

Truth, that same tree can be watered the next day, with near no change to moisture level, but this action will flush the fungals. We can do this while also avoiding actual overwatering damage that can occur to the bark,etc.

So why Not water daily and just avoid the problems it does cause?

It is safer.

Sorce
Problem is those trees are in deep pots and soil doesn't drain well so flushing isn't an option..as.most are olives I made the mistake.of not repotting in summer which o believe is fi e for olives. It's a bit too late now as temp started dropping a bit.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Those benches look too nice to put plants on!
Indeed. Was feeling like my trees ain't worthy of a bench still. Hopefully will start improving after the first batch of pruning, wiring repotting I have on schedule for coming season, as well.as hoping to score a few worthy trees soon.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I know some growers who use drippers on pots. I tried but the drip only waters a small section of the roots and that's not good on wide, shallow pots. The rest of the pot stays bone dry and my trees did not like that. I believe that some use 2 drippers per pot but I have not tried that. Overhead sprays work better for me here. Some water wasted but overhead watering cleans the leaves as well as watering the entire pot and excess spray and runoff water the trees on the ground under the benches too so not all wasted.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Valid points. I will only rely on the automatic watering when on travel, and guess will setup couple drips and have them.spray a bit instead of just drip. I will for sure water the trees manually at least 2-3 times a week.
Benches are out in the open so nothing to hang overhead sprays on unless if I can workout a holder for the spray nozzles fixed to the benches so it sprays from above the trees and may be position trees that need more water closer to the spray nozzles.

Top Bottom