New Daiza WIP

fudo133

Sapling
Reaction score
Howdy all, hopefully you're not all sick of this thread by now, but i just wanted to share the latest update;

After spending an embarrassingly large amount of time sanding out tooling and layout marks and a few more hours shaping and sanding the bead around the base, the visible areas of the daiza are now finished!

All that's left now is to finish off the underside and finally move onto staining and finishing it.

photo_2021-11-20_20-57-40.jpg
photo_2021-11-20_20-58-25.jpg

photo_2021-11-20_20-59-26.jpg

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Have you considered something more transparent, but after some light torching to accentuate the grain in the wood?
I say this because I'm enjoying the contrast between the light wood and dark stone, but some torching would bring out the darker grains to balance the two.

Just a thought from someone who wishes he was working on a project like this.

fudo133

Sapling
Reaction score
After giving much thought to how to finish it i finally settled on a combination of walnut, brown japan and mahogany stains mixed through shellac and layered up...i would have liked to have kept more of the pine's grain, but after having had a few bad experiences with blotching and unpredictable stain results on pine in the past i decided not to risk it since it could have been an extremely difficult thing to fix if it went bad.

You can still see a little of the grain showing through, but i think the variation in colour in the staining as a result of layering it and no doubt sanding heavier in some areas than others between coats of stain and shellac helps to keep things from looking too consistent and too much like plastic.

Sorry for the messy background, this was the only room in my house that had any decent light today!

Let me know what you think!
photo_2021-11-27_18-59-12.jpg

photo_2021-11-27_18-58-57.jpg

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wow. That messy background actually gives some sense of scale now
That ain't no little rock!

Top Bottom