New growth on ficus turning red

SubJeezy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm assuming it has something to do with sun exposure, as the last few days here in Denver have been very sunny and hot. That being said, does anyone know if the new growth being red is another issue? Some mature leaves have developed black spots, which I assume are sun burns. Any input would be appreciated! Tree has been moved to a nice shady spot to ride out the next month or two.

Attachments

• 20230724_193816.jpg
    20230724_193816.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 20230724_193806.jpg
    20230724_193806.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 44

MSGhero

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
New growth that is red has always been fine/a good thing for my couple of ficus

SubJeezy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
New growth that is red has always been fine/a good thing for my couple of ficus
Huh, I'll keep that in mind. I recently bought the tree, and don't exactly know which species of ficus it is. My Tiger bark has always had bright green new growth, so I suppose it could just be from being a species I'm not familiar with. Thanks for the input!

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Huh, I'll keep that in mind. I recently bought the tree, and don't exactly know which species of ficus it is. My Tiger bark has always had bright green new growth, so I suppose it could just be from being a species I'm not familiar with. Thanks for the input!
Agreed to the above, looks normal!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm assuming it has something to do with sun exposure, as the last few days here in Denver have been very sunny and hot. That being said, does anyone know if the new growth being red is another issue? Some mature leaves have developed black spots, which I assume are sun burns. Any input would be appreciated! Tree has been moved to a nice shady spot to ride out the next month or two.
The new growth on many tree (and plants in general) is reddish because of the concentration of anthocyanins and sugars in the newly forming tissue. Anthocyanins act as a guard against extreme temperatures on new leaves (as in full sun, etc.) It will pass as the leaf matures.

SubJeezy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A
The new growth on many tree (and plants in general) is reddish because of the concentration of anthocyanins and sugars in the newly forming tissue. Anthocyanins act as a guard against extreme temperatures on new leaves (as in full sun, etc.) It will pass as the leaf matures.
Ahh, I see. I appreciate the specific scientific answer. That'll be helpful in the future. Thanks a ton!!

Top Bottom