New here could use a hand.

Bonsaihaze

Seed
Reaction score
College kid from philly here, I had heard I could pick up a Bonsai growing kit at a local retail store (urban Outfitters). I purchased a Japanese Red Maple Kit. I've always been interested in the art of bonsai, and want to use this art to further my understanding of zen. Currently I'm living in a dorm and my seeds are in a germination phase. The kit states that the seeds need to spends 8-12 weeks in the fridge set to 40 degrees Fahrenheit. I am doing this but I want to ensure that this manipulated wintering process will produce sprouting. Are there any other techniques I can use? I'm interested in looking into other trees to grow in the meantime, what are other good beginner trees? Also are there certain sites i should stay away from for getting seeds and equipment, and some great one a lot of you guys use?

Sorry for all the Questions. I really love the idea of controlling the growth of my own tree and I want to be able to stick out the growth process and have a beautiful tree of my own.

Cheers,
Haze

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Welcome to bonsai... Unfortunately, dorm conditions are not accomodating to growing trees. If you are truly interested in bonsai. Start by learning the aethetic and horticultural needs that the art requires. This is a necessity to do bonsai. You can first start by studying the 5 styles and sub styles of bonsai. Then, you can research the care and pruning of different species. My advice would be to find a bonsai club and attend some meetings and work shops.

As far as the maple goes. I need to tell you that this is a long term project. You will probably not have a bonsai from this maple until about 8-10 years. Good beginner trees are species like chinese elms, some junipers and maybe yew.

Rob

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Hey Haze

Welcome!!! Good to see younger people interested in Bonsai. Most people on the forum's will tell you that the kits are pretty much a waste of money. You could purchase maple seed several places for much cheaper. There is nothing special about the seed in the kit, it's just a normal maple seed. Yah the process you are using should work, however the more seed you have the better chance you have. Oh yah and you should do this outside if you meant your doing it in your dorm room. Most Bonsai are actually for outside not inside.

I might recommend getting some more seed. Also, looking for a club in the area and exploring this forum will help you a bunch. Good luck!!!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
WELCOME!!!

For indoors, ficus might work better too. It will do much better outdoor but a bit more forgiving than other plants and can tolerate indoors better. Good luck!

BonRy_an

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7C
http://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics_Seeds.html

Now take what i say with a grain of salt im as green behind the ears as you, but this website helped a lot in explaining the situation.

First distinction that needs to be made (first one I learned >.<) Bonsai is an end result and it takes yearssss of work on an already grown pre-bonsai to get there. There is no such thing as a bonsai "tree", "seed". Bonsai are pre-bonsai years into the making. Seedlings will take almost 5 years to just start work with I read.

I use to want to grow from seed, and I still may as a side project that I keep going but forget about for about 5 years. I have just started looking for natural material that has grown itself in the wild (haven't found anything yet).

Also the type of tree the seeds come from is in how differently you may want to handle them. This goes for trees too.

Also don't get bogged down it is good the kit got you interested, and it is very easy to find/plant/buy other good starting material to get you on your journey.

Good luck and have fun!

Bonsaihaze

Seed
Reaction score
Welcome to bonsai... Unfortunately, dorm conditions are not accomodating to growing trees. If you are truly interested in bonsai. Start by learning the aethetic and horticultural needs that the art requires. This is a necessity to do bonsai. You can first start by studying the 5 styles and sub styles of bonsai. Then, you can research the care and pruning of different species. My advice would be to find a bonsai club and attend some meetings and work shops.

As far as the maple goes. I need to tell you that this is a long term project. You will probably not have a bonsai from this maple until about 8-10 years. Good beginner trees are species like chinese elms, some junipers and maybe yew.

Rob

kind of making me feel a little discouraged, but thanks for the advice. Know any specific source i could find the five styles? I was kind of thinking of taking it my own way in the future, but I'd love to see the way others have made it grow.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Don't get discouraged... It was not for discouragement, but rather an honest answer. If you google the 5 styles of bonsai, you will get a lot of info.. The styles are upright, informal upright, cascade, semi cascade and slant. Remember, just have fun. The more you learn, the more you will love the art.. One thing, bonsai is a study in patience and time.. Initially, when you begin learning about bonsai, you will realize that it can take many years to create a nice tree. It is lots of fun to practice and learn along the way. Sometimes it takes 5-10 even 20 years to make a nice bonsai. It is a great journey and since you re still in college. You have many years to create some beautiful masterpieces in the furure. I wish that I had received some advice like this when I started.. Would have saved me about 5 years of work and study.

Here is a helpful link.

http://www.bonsaisite.com/techniq1.html

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can also buy some "Bonsai Starter kits" that come with trees that are about 2-3 years old and some soil and fertilizer and occasionally tools and wire at many online sites. The benefit is that the trees have a start of a few years, less time for you waiting for something. Get a couple cheap Junipers and dive in and style them and wire them and repot them, Junipers are pretty tough and even if you kill them both you had some hands on experience very cheaply. if they survive you still have some experience and maybe a good start to a nice tree.

ed

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I wouldn't say get Junipers, they'll die indoors as well.

We aren't trying to discourage you, just trying to keep you from wasting your time and killing trees. I'm a college kid too, but I grow Ficus. They do well indoors and I suggest you start with one of them.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On the other hand, if you've got Japanese Maple seeds and can find a place to plant them outside in the ground after they've sprouted (i.e. your parents' place?) and let them grow unencumbered for a few years, by the time you're out of college and maybe have a place of your own where you can put trees outside, you could go dig those maples up and they just might be a perfect size for starting to do some real bonsai work on them.

I mean, you already have the seeds, right? Why throw them away?

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am also a newbie and I took a totally different approach and started with the biggest materials I can get. While I agree that bonsai is not a sprint but a marathon...it doesn't mean I should take the longest time. That is a personal choice and I respect yours...but I would persuade you to consider having a mix at least so you have "older" stock to work on now while waiting for your seedling to mature. Either way, it is all about your enjoyment so go with whatever makes you happy.

Top Bottom