New Here

MHarmon

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi my name is Matt.

I am new to the world of bonsai. I do not have one yet. I am currently doing as much research as time permits on the internet both in forums and watching videos on you tube. I have also ordered two books, recently. Waiting for their arrival.
I have been active with container culture of plants on my patio for 10 years now. I have been growing a Gardenia for 3 years now, and I am now observing it's pre-bonsai potential. I plan to do some initial work on it this spring after it flowers.
I also bought a boxwood and juniper a few weeks ago at the big box store for less than a dollar each. Through my research I now understand that they have a long way to go before they will become bonsai. Oh well, I will just enjoy growing them for some years now.
I am busy now researching which species can tolerate the blazing heat/sun on my patio during the summer.
Well that's enough about me for now. I hope to learn a lot on these forums, as I truly feel with bonsai, I finally found the spot I have been searching for, through my years of container culture hobby.

Matt

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome Matt. It's nice that you decided to do some research before getting a plant! Most folks do it the other way round...
Please take a moment and go to your profile and fill out where your location is as most advice you will want is climate specific to your area.
Hope you have fun in the hobby.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Welcome, Matt! Perhaps you can help others to understand better your situation by adding to your profile where you are located. Many trees do well in colder climates, others love the heat and sun of the warmer areas. Sounds as though you are about ready to begin trying your hand at container gardening of the flatter kind.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Welcome to B Nut! Feel free to jump in and post anytime!

Grimmy

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Welcome. Poink88 a.k.a Dario is also from Texas, he could probably give you some info on what grows well there.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You are about 580 miles west of me but here in Austin...I've got Boxwood and Juniper in full sun and they are doing fine (though could be better if there is some shade). I also have Cat's Claw, Crape Myrtle, Olive, Live Oak, Yaupon Holly, TX Persimmon, and various tropical trees that love the sun.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Welcome! I wish you good luck in your journey. I have started about two years ago and it has been very interesting and rewarding.

Tamarinds can stand blazing heats for sure, as they are tropical trees and are drought tolerant.

Top Bottom