New Larch..first shot at wiring...

Chub

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
1 (Large).jpg 2 (2) (Large).jpg6 (Large).JPG

Picked this up yesterday. Suggestions, critiques?..besides getting rid of the dead branch on the right. After cutting, the tree is 20" tall.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
View attachment 36258 View attachment 36259View attachment 36260

Picked this up yesterday. Suggestions, critiques?..besides getting rid of the dead branch on the right. After cutting, the tree is 20" tall.

If your thinking of repotting don't repot now. Larch has a tiny repotting window of about 1 week. For Japanes larch it needs to be repotted when green is just visible at the tips of the buds (no needles out yet,) for other larch just when the needles have broken the buds and you can barely see them. Wiring wise it looks ok. How come you used copper larch is easy to bend with aluminum, otherwise looks like it was applied too loose. Larch are great trees though you'll enjoy it! I think the placement of the branches is good if possible I'd lower the bottom left one a bit more.

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If your thinking of repotting don't repot now. Larch has a tiny repotting window of about 1 week. For Japanes larch it needs to be repotted when green is just visible at the tips of the buds (no needles out yet,) for other larch just when the needles have broken the buds and you can barely see them. Wiring wise it looks ok. How come you used copper larch is easy to bend with aluminum, otherwise looks like it was applied too loose. Larch are great trees though you'll enjoy it! I think the placement of the branches is good if possible I'd lower the bottom left one a bit more.

I am always interested in other people's experiences. How many Larch do you have and what varieties?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If that trunk is still flexible at all, I'd think of putting some movement into it. Or a lot of movement into it. Unless you are after a formal upright or something. They take well to wiring, even drastic bending when young. Just keep an eye out for the rapid growth they can put on, so the wire doesn't cut in. Or use something under the wire to protect the bark a bit. Is this Japanese Larch or American?

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
You're kidding, right?

@Frozenlarch Not at all. I've always been taught you can only repot from late winter to bud swell. That once needles open the repotting window is closed. I've stuck by this and have never had any problems. Ive never tested the limits so maybe its a larger window then i thought? Perhaps you have had another experience?

@Vance I've only owned two larches since i started doing bonsai around 2000. I had one old japanese larch which I'd been developing for awhile. I sold it to a friend just the other day. I had a European larch from 2000-2006 but sold it on eBay before we moved out to LA the first time. Right now I have no larch as I'm preparing for a possible move to LA again.

Last edited:

frozenlarch

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
@Frozenlarch Not at all. I've always been taught you can only repot from late winter to bud swell. That once needles open the repotting window is closed. I've stuck by this and have never had any problems. Ive never tested the limits so maybe its a larger window then i thought? Perhaps you have had another experience?

I apologize if my comment came across... poorly.

I've collected dozens of these little buggers, spring through fall, bare rooting, severely reducing the root system, and otherwise abusing the trees. Apart from the more extreme cases, I haven't lost one.
Granted the trees I collect are usually no more than 8 years old, they all seem to pull through just fine.
Yes, they get stressed, and yes, it occasionally shows, but most recover quickly.

Now I will say this, every Larch I collect gets potted in live Sphagnum, and placed out of direct sunlight until it shows signs of healthy growth. I have no experience with Larch in bonsai soil, so there may be a difference there, but I don't feel that a minor root disturbance will adversely effect the tree.

Keep in mind also, this experience comes from around zone 3, where our average summer highs are minimal at best. I do not doubt that in a warmer climate, these trees would respond differently.

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I apologize if my comment came across... poorly.

I've collected dozens of these little buggers, spring through fall, bare rooting, severely reducing the root system, and otherwise abusing the trees. Apart from the more extreme cases, I haven't lost one.
Granted the trees I collect are usually no more than 8 years old, they all seem to pull through just fine.
Yes, they get stressed, and yes, it occasionally shows, but most recover quickly.

Now I will say this, every Larch I collect gets potted in live Sphagnum, and placed out of direct sunlight until it shows signs of healthy growth. I have no experience with Larch in bonsai soil, so there may be a difference there, but I don't feel that a minor root disturbance will adversely effect the tree.

Keep in mind also, this experience comes from around zone 3, where our average summer highs are minimal at best. I do not doubt that in a warmer climate, these trees would respond differently.

Your mileage may vary.

No worries, we've all had different exp and it sounds like you're able to give them what they need once collected. I've never worked with something i myself dug up. The European larch I had i bought from Suthin way back around 2000 and it was already in a bonsai mix. Well over 20 years old before i got it. Every few years I'd repot it accordingly. The japanese larch did start in a mostly dirt mix at one point I bare rooted it and moved it out of a larger nursery container and moved it to a bonsai pot. But I only have direct exp with those two sub species not the ones that natively grow here.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Larches are definitely tough trees, but I have been warned of tight repotting times as well. Once you start seeing green poking out its a good time, but you don't want the buds unfurled.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
It does come to aftercare, have repotted from spagnum to bonsai soil in july, which is the time the guy I got that one from digs them.

In general late winter to just before you see the shaving brush tips. At that point leave it for a while, I thinkthey need to grow and harden off/ recharge a bit or it would be very risky

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I live in a cool climate. I have been quite brutal with tamaracks and they don't skip a beat. Last spring was very warm here( by our standards) and I actually had to follow the rules of shade and misting. But the usual 50 degree foggy month of May makes a large window for us.

Repotting before bud break is pretty standard on most budding trees. I don't see the claim of a tight window. It's the same window as any other tree with extreme rooting ability. Their roots are second only to white cedar in my collection. Both aggressive.

DhD47

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I live in ag zone 7a and would like to plant one of my larch trees in a larger pot to grow out and see how large I can get it growing. From what I'm reading it best I wait until late winter or early spring to move the larch. I'm not sure it will make it here as a bonsai so I was thinking I can grow in a large garden planter as a dwarf tree.
D

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I live in ag zone 7a and would like to plant one of my larch trees in a larger pot to grow out and see how large I can get it growing. From what I'm reading it best I wait until late winter or early spring to move the larch. I'm not sure it will make it here as a bonsai so I was thinking I can grow in a large garden planter as a dwarf tree.
D
If you are truly interested in Larch you might want to try Japanese Larch if the American Larch poops out, and it might.

DhD47

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks Vance,
I purchased these from e-bay so it was a shot in the dark for what I was getting but from the look of the trees and photos on-line I would guess it is a Japanese Larch. That is one reason I think it would make it as a larger tree and not bonsai. Maybe when I get more experience I'll be able to bonsai one. I love the look of these trees so I would like to have one.
Dave

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd let it grow till the base was the size I desired then chop it down to the last branch for taper and movement. Larches like to grow stovepipe trunks with little to no taper.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Mike is right, they tend to make telephone poles if you let them. We have a lot of Larch here in Michigan I hope to get more of them.

DhD47

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I really wish they did better here but I'm just about to far south for them. I know there are some growing as trees in Virginia but from what I hear as a bonsai tree they are not easy to keep alive.
Dave

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
From early on I was told and I have seen it to be the case more times than not; American Larch do not survive on a Line south of Toledo Ohio. I think this information is a bit incorrect but the tree is a bit sensitive to being below that line. You have to remember the farther North you go the angle of the sun changes. Because of that the trees ability to survive changes.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
From early on I was told and I have seen it to be the case more times than not; American Larch do not survive on a Line south of Toledo Ohio. I think this information is a bit incorrect but the tree is a bit sensitive to being below that line. You have to remember the farther North you go the angle of the sun changes. Because of that the trees ability to survive changes.
Do you know if japanese larch have similar borders?

Top Bottom