New messageboards?

Should we add a Pond/Koi board and a Japanese Garden board to the site?

• Yes to both!

Votes: 21 53.8%
  • I like the Ponds/Koi idea, but not the Japanese Gardens idea.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like the Japanese Gardens idea, but not the Ponds/Koi idea.

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • I don't like either - it would detract from bonsai or the site is already too cluttered.

Votes: 15 38.5%

• Total voters

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm thinking about adding new messageboards to the site to develop a couple of areas - Ponds and Koi, and Japanese Gardens (in general). Please respond to the poll and let me know what you think.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
I like the idea of both....
Mom

Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
Even though I like your koi, IMHO if I want garden-thread I go to a garden-forum and the same goes for Koi. In all fairness I have to say that even though I appreciate the painting/netsuke/etc-part of this forum I feel that they are better discussed in the general/karaoke bar part of the forum, and even though such posts are rare (and I guess that garden/Koi post would be as rare) my personal preference is that this forum focus on bonsai.

On the other hand, it won't HURT to add Koi and garden the same way it doesn't HURT to have a painting/netsuke/etc-messageboard...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
My personal and usually unpopluar opinon is as follows:

There are already Japanese gardening, koi, and pond forums out there, why dilute a bonsai forum with such unrelated subjects?

I would rather see a dedicated section on pottery or stones.

Will

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I would probably check the garden section, I like my fish cooked so that one doesn't matter, and as far as clutter would go just like any othert thread that doesn't tickle my fancy gets ignored.

Keep up the good work.

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Dude - this is your site. We are simply guests who stop in unannounced all the time. Do as you wish and we will adapt.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Dude - this is your site. We are simply guests who stop in unannounced all the time. Do as you wish and we will adapt.

I am conflicted. On one hand, I know that having ONE pond and ONE garden forum will not really do justice to either. However we seem to have a fair number of koi or garden threads that keep getting dumped into the karaoke bar or general discussion for lack of a home.

I could go either way on this one...

cantstopsmilin

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
i say i like both, it's not like you have to look or participate in what ever is being talked about in those sections, and if they're there, and you're curious, you can look at them.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
I say yes to both!

For those that don't want to see a koi section then that is easy, don't look!!! There will still be the same bonsai content on the Nut but now I can post a picture of my pond in the place it should be posted.

C'mon Greg, just add it and if Will doesn't like it he doesn't have to look :)

Jason

Ross

Shohin
Reaction score
I'm cool with whatever you decide, but what about just a general landscape/garden section that could include both topics. Also, I'm interested in both ponds and gardening, but not necessarily just the Japanese varieties. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for all the work!

Ross

Reaction score
USDA Zone
My personal and usually unpopluar opinon is as follows:

There are already Japanese gardening, koi, and pond forums out there, why dilute a bonsai forum with such unrelated subjects?

I would rather see a dedicated section on pottery or stones.

Will

Watch out folks....the world is ending again!

I agree with Will. I would be more likely to go to a Japanese gardening forum if it were dedicated to that.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Son,
I have been a rock hound for many years but never even looked at a Suseki site until just recently. And just today was my first visit to the one here.
And as Graydon said it is your site and we will all adapt.
We are your guest as well as members here.
Those that complain "Oh Well" adapt or leave....
Oh, I also have 3 ponds in my backyard but have never put fish in them and it's not for wanting, but I live in a open area with Ratcoons that enjoy the ponds.
Mom

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Son,
And as Graydon said it is your site and we will all adapt.
We are your guest as well as members here.
Those that complain "Oh Well" adapt or leave....
Mom

I believe Greg asked for opinions Irene, which is what we are giving.

Why not a origami section, a Ikebana section, a Japanese Lantern section, a Kimono section, a Geisha section, a calligraphy section as well?

I practice bonsai, not Japanese bonsai, just bonsai. Honestly, sometimes I get a little miffed when people assume that bonsai is a Japanese art and ask me if I have a Japanese garden, or if I speak Japanese....

Dad ;)

cray13

Sapling
Reaction score
Of course, ultimately this is your site.

My two cents is remember the name of this site "BonsaiNut". Adding Koi/Pond and Japanese Garden forums will take up space that you have to pay for on the server. There are plenty of other forums out there on these subjects. I think I would just keep the Nut dedicated to Bonsai and things closely related. Pottery, tools, wire etc... all makes sense as additional forums, but I'll never have a bonsai big enough to have it's own koi pond in the pot :)

Either way, it's easy enough for visitors to just visit the forums they're interested in... I was just thinking about it from your perspective having to manage it all. So, in the end it really boils down to how much time do you have.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I did think of a negative, it would be to gain a bunch traffic due to koi and JG searches, that adds a bunch of nonsense from people probably not very interested in bonsai at all. That could make a lot of, I hate to say it "really dumb" threads to wade through.

On the other hand it could be a mechanism to bring in new people to bonsai, a quandry.

I agree with Graydon though, we are here for the long haul.:D

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love Japanese gardens, so I would read the content.
With the Koi, it can go either way for me. But since you are into it, may be you owe it to yourself.

Whatever you do, you are doing a good job so far.

Top Bottom