New to Bonsai from NJ

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I found this shot glass from Turks and Caicos and was able the remove the ugly black labelling at the bottom so the face would be totally clean.
View attachment 271370

I figured I had some extra cuttings from my P. Afras so I figured I would try to grow a mame cascade of sorts.

After 30 minutes I found my tile dril bit and drilled a hole in the bottom.

View attachment 271371
View attachment 271369

Planted the cutting. Will see how it does!
View attachment 271368

I love it!!! A lot of good childhood memories at Jade Island in Staten Island as a kid made me a big fan of tiki decor and cocktails as an adult. My winter project is working on finishing my basement and making a tiki bar.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Speaking of Jade Island, I used to go there as a kid as well, even though I lived in NJ, because my dad proposed to my mom there. We would go for her birthday. I remember always getting the jumbo shrimp and being fascinated at the blow-fish lights.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Speaking of Jade Island, I used to go there as a kid as well, even though I lived in NJ, because my dad proposed to my mom there. We would go for her birthday. I remember always getting the jumbo shrimp and being fascinated at the blow-fish lights.
That’s so awesome!!! We just went there for my birthday in October and it hasn’t changed a bit!

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Anyone ever try air layering black locust?

20191123_135315.jpg
20191123_135328.jpg

That's one year growth... i chopped this thing in the spring.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Black Locust - Robinia pseudoacacia - I have tried cuttings and failed. Never tried air layering.

Only a few people have had luck getting these to grow as bonsai. I tend to loose them over winter, despite them being invasive in my local landscape. I don't know what the problem is. @coh has been working with them a while, as has @PiñonJ

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Black Locust - Robinia pseudoacacia - I have tried cuttings and failed. Never tried air layering.

Only a few people have had luck getting these to grow as bonsai. I tend to loose them over winter, despite them being invasive in my local landscape. I don't know what the problem is. @coh has been working with them a while, as has @PiñonJ
I haven't tried them in pots yet. I have a few in the ground that I've been working on and maybe...maybe! One might get dug/potted in the spring, but more likely it will go back in the ground for another year or two. We have a problem around here with locust borers that get into the junctions between branches, often killing them. Not sure if they'll go after small trees in pots but they do go after the small ones in the ground so it might be a problem.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I really want to kill the god damn thing because its right behind my shed... send some borers to me!

It has a cool truck though. Maybe I'll try ground layering it.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Definitely give it a try. I love the coarse rough near black bark, and love the flowers in spring. The compound leaves are relatively short, do-able in a bonsai sense. One would think there would be many black locust bonsai in north america. But I recall only seeing one displayed at a show, once. There are obviously some problems.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Definitely give it a try.

I, too, I'm an optimist ;)

But yes, give it a try : now it's viewed by almost everybody here as a native species whereas it's not and even considered as an invasive species. Which I think is pretty stupid. When reasonably controlled, it's good for river banks, and like other species, it doesn't rot when in the soil which is very useful to stabilize river banks.

What's more, they smell good and it's even a kind of traditional recipe to make doughnuts with the flowers. One of the many links to recipes : https://www.750g.com/beignets-de-fleurs-dacacia-r72702.htm

Not to mention the confetti to throw at our friends when going to school, pulling a leaf and throwing the leaflets.

... but probably not the easiest species to work as bonsai. :oops:

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Will see what happens. I have to clean up this back quadrant of my yard... there are three thick trunked chopped maples back there, this locust, some volunteer burning bushes (want to try air layering these also) i want to transplant to create a tall hedge along a part of my back fence, etc.

Ground layer is best chance for survival, I think, but the time frame sucks. I have to build a bunch of grow boxes this winter for these bigger collected specimens.

whfarro

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
My only concern is that it will be too hot. It is in direct sun through afternoon.

I am going to look for a solar powered remote thermometer for the area so, if anyone has suggestions, please let me know. Im looking for something under $50 that i can track on phone.

Winter is a good time for engineering.
[/QUOTE]

I have used Temp/Humidity sensors from LaCrosse. Not solar powered (lithium batteries) and they work great. Track on your mobile, alert you when the high/low thresholds you set are reached.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Picked up some douglas fir cones off a tree at the tree farm while cutting the christmas tree this year. Going to try these next year.

20191208_200529.jpg

Our Christmas tree - a spruce - has its own cones as well. Going to try some of these as well. Will be fun to grow a tree from seed to look like a christmas tree from a christmas tree.

20191208_200719.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Snowed last night so I opened the tarps before I went to bed. We had rain most of the day but this morning trees were covered with a nice inch or so of snow.

20191211_073345.jpg

Covered them back up til next snow.

20191211_073731.jpg

Methodology seems to work good so far. Havent had too many super cold nights yet but trees seem to be healthy and doing ok. Rain runs off the tarps nicely and into the garden soil which keeps the area the pots are from getting too much rain. The damp soil though keeps them from drying out.

Havent watered them since leaves have fallen.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Some stuff growing in the yard that may get grow boxed next year:

20191214_115436.jpg
Red or Pin Oak.

20191214_115334.jpg
Two sugar maples. Big trunks on these.

20191214_115348.jpg
Another maple... probably sugar maple.

20191214_115212.jpg
Black cherry

20191214_115225.jpg
Not sure.. what it is. Might be a mulberry.

20191214_115253.jpg
Sycamore maple that was cut back when fence was repaired last year. This is growing off a BIG stump. Not sure if I can collect this so might try to ground or air layer as low as possible and then clear cut below.

20191214_115327.jpg
Another maple.

Going to try air layering black locust branch on big tree above also and if successful. Try layering the trunk on that low.

Top Bottom