New to Bonsai from NJ

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks Warpig.

Going to use this thread for updates on trees which don't have their own thread.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Some more pictures from today... in the sun... please give me some thoughts, feedback on styling ideas! These are the trees I'm most excited about at the moment. I know they are sticks in pots but I like watching them grow.

20191019_120650.jpg
Red Maple.. next year plan is to cut back to the low right shoot, and let it grow out. It was repotted this year and has plenty of room to grow.

20191019_120825.jpg
Another Red Maple. This one will be repotted next year. Like the colors on it. Will likely let it grow out without much pruning. There are low buds so possibly the following year I'll cut down lower... maybe to the little bud on the left.

20191019_122006.jpg
Red Maple: This is my second oldest tree that I've had in a pot. It was first potted last year. Not sure where I will take it but it is healthy with plenty of strong buds forming. Next year will leave in this pot and let it grow out.

20191019_122905.jpg
Boxelder Maple: My oldest tree. This one has grown some nice texture on the bark after only a year in it's pot. Will be letting grow out next year. Hoping for a low bud to form and shoot some good growth. You can see it starting it's transition to yellow fall color.

20191019_122513.jpg
First year Grey Alder from seed. It already has nice trunk growth even after only being in these small grow pots. Will repot next year into a better growing pot. Will probably let it grow out next year for the whole year then see about initial styling options the following year.

20191019_123518.jpg
This is a sugar maple that I dug out of the back yard. You can see the split near the roots healing nicely. I feel it could be something really nice some day. Considering leaving to grow next year or cutting back to the vertical branch halfway along the trunk temporarily. I think I'll leave it and use the added energy from the current strong leader to thicken the trunk up. The seedling in the back is an Osage Orange. That will get repotted next spring into it's own pot.

20191019_123714.jpg
My Norwegian spruce at a possible new planting angle. It needs to be repotted next year - I didn't do a good job and there are some air gaps in the pot I want to clear up. I also want to reorganize some of the roots on it. The growth looks like it will be nice next year, with some strong buds formed on all the branches.

20191019_124300.jpg
Virginia Crabapple Clump. Not sure what I will do stylistically with these but I want to keep the three together. They were grown from seed over last winter and took off tail end of the summer. They need to be repotted because watering is a bit of a problem sometimes. I'm thinking of trying to pot them closer together so that they could one day fuse to become a single, three-trunked tree.

20191019_124420.jpg
Common Juniper wired and styled as a "mountain spruce." I wired this the other day at our club meeting. There is enough close foliage where I can cut back to it next spring. I'm hoping to grow this relatively straight, almost as a formal upright, but with short, close, ramified pads to mimic the spruce I saw in Jasper and Banff while hiking. I pruned some of the upward facing growth on the lower branches, keeping the outward and some of the downward growth to mimic the weeping aspect of the spruces. This will be repotted in the spring. Can I leave the wire on over winter or should i take it off as the foliage starts to turn it's characteristic purple with the winter? I'm thinking the branches will have fully lignified by then.

20191019_123352.jpg
English Ivy. Grown from a large cutting. Growing nicely Will prune back next year. Experiment in progress but this thing grows like crazy. Going to probably repot also next spring so if anyone has experience with repotting ivy and has pointers, I'd love to hear.

Last edited:

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A few more pictures.

20191019_121404.jpg
Another Red maple - I have a ton of them from what was growing in the front yard flower gardens. This one is being trained as a root over rock. Has some nice lower branching. Going to repot this next year to see how it's growing and probably cut back to the lower buds.

20191019_124623.jpg
My other common juniper. No plans for this guy next year. Maybe repot it.

20191019_124802.jpg
Twisted American Holly. Repotting next year into one of the two pots I got last club meeting. Going to keep this Shohin sized.

20191019_125256.jpg
I believe this is a forsythia. Either way, going to repot it with this front next season. The back leader is getting cut off. The left branch and lower branch are going to become the main focus of the tree. Not sure long term what I want this to look like so I'm just removing things I know I don't want.

20191019_135750.jpg
Nursury Juniper. I have the label around somewhere. Will repot next spring. It was wired and I just removed the wire. Not sure what I'll do with it stylistically... maybe a semi-cascade of some sort based around the bottom right branch.

20191019_123449.jpg20191019_123458.jpg
Some pines I'm growing from seed. This are Pinus Rigida - Pitch Pine.

20191019_123244.jpg20191019_123250.jpg
The rest of the trees on my work bench which I've been toying with this year.

20191019_131519.jpg
Can anyone confirm what these are? They are in my compost bin. Are they mealworms? I'm not concerned as they'll be killed off there, but I wanted to make sure they aren't something more dangerous.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah, I was surprised at how much it grew this summer right after repotting it. It lost some of it's inner leaves for some reason - I think sun scorch or they got shaded out... Idk. I'm expecting a lot of growth from it next summer too looking at how healthy the buds seem.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It is. I started useing it while i was in the Marine Corp. And its kind of grow on me.

Sabbath is awesome. Im partial to the Dio years and Tony Martin albums. Ozzy era my favorites are Vol. 4, Master of Reality, and Paranoid.

Eat them, it's very trendy.

If you don't die, there is a chance that you'll get high.

Or earn a privileged place in the toilets.

Sooooo... they're mealworms? Haha.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yea Oz wasnt my favorite but some of the early stuff stands out. Now Dio i can get behind. Just found out like 2 months ago my wife didnt know who Dio was. It got ugly lol.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am one of the few my age lucky enough to have caught Dio live with Sabbath as well as solo. One of my favorite singers. My wife was amazed when we saw him with Sabbath.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The wife's going to kill me... picked these up today after a very generous offer.

20191021_214741.jpg
Trident Maple. Going to work on the nebari in the spring. The high roots have to go. Not sure of my front yet.

20191021_215216.jpg
Little twisty shimpaku. Not sure what I'm going to do with it either.

20191021_215512.jpg
Seiju Elm in a weird pot. Have to make some styling decisions on it. Trunk needs the mos cleaned off... will probably do that this week some time.

20191021_215922.jpg
Two Korean Hornbeams. Initially I was going to keep them together in the planting, but I don't think the trunk lines work together so I'll separate them in the spring. The thicker one has some nice movement in the trunk.

20191021_220114.jpg
Chinese elm cuttings. Might leave them in this clump... might not. Not sure. Need a repot though.

20191021_220247.jpg
Zelkova... Need to make decisions on the styling. I'm not sure the twin trunk is going to result in a good design. Might air layer off one side... idk. Need to think on it more.

20191021_220553.jpg
A mugo. Maybe @Vance Wood sees a good line here? I'm not sure what I think would be a good look for this. One though was to use the left branch as a new leader and train the rest of the branches for possible deadwood. Haven't given it much thought yet.

20191021_220759.jpg
Shore pine. Maybe @Adair M can give some insight on this one stylistically. I see a nice line pulling one of the long lanky branches and training as an upward leader while the rest stay to the left.. maybe a semi-cascade. I am going to work on chasing the foliage back closer to the trunk for now until something really stands out.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Gonna be cold tonight.. mid 20s... moved most of the trees to my basement steps which stay a nice temp. Not sure how hardy they are at moment so being safe until I can get them buried this weekend. Pines stayed outside... not worried about them at all. May use this spot for some of my more sentimental trees.

20191108_191754.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Winter area finished.

Made some adjustments from original.

20191109_115123.jpg
I am using spring clips to hold tarps over and down the back railing. These will stay until spring. Spring clips in front are easy to adjust. Plan is to unclip in snow and let the snow cover the trees, then cover again whem snow stops. Rain ill leave the tarp covered unless it is too heavy. Plants will be heeled in underneath in compost.

20191109_115130.jpg
My only concern is that it will be too hot. It is in direct sun through afternoon. I think the open ends and gaps will be enough to keep cool though. If it becomes too hot, i will adjust the opening in the front, allowing for more air to enter. There is a 4-6" gap now in the front where the tarp comes down.

I am going to look for a solar powered remote thermometer for the area so, if anyone has suggestions, please let me know. Im looking for something under $50 that i can track on phone.

Will put about 75% of my trees here to see how they do this winter. If mostly have good results, ill use again with appropriate modifications for next year. Thinking something a little sturdier. Also thinking of how I can create something here which will convert to a greenhouse in late feb, march for my vegetable seedlings.

Winter is a good time for engineering.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Only sticks in pots listen to Evenescence!

Real Bonsai listen to Immolation and Dissection!

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Some odds and ends:

20191110_191954.jpg
Red Maple

20191110_192250.jpg
Red Maple

20191110_192943.jpg
Hibiscus

20191110_193231.jpg
English Ivy

20191110_193350.jpg
Same ivy.. focused in on trunk.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I found this shot glass from Turks and Caicos and was able the remove the ugly black labelling at the bottom so the face would be totally clean.
20191117_144008.jpg

I figured I had some extra cuttings from my P. Afras so I figured I would try to grow a mame cascade of sorts.

After 30 minutes I found my tile dril bit and drilled a hole in the bottom.

20191117_145226.jpg
20191117_145442.jpg

Planted the cutting. Will see how it does!
20191117_150445.jpg

Top Bottom