New to Bonsai from Texas

Ahjuhshi

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Haha I see that makes sense. I've been in Korea for 10 years
I haven't been since 2001! I lived there when I was younger when my father was stationed there. My mother goes back at least twice a year.

Ahjuhshi

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey guys, I've made up my mind to chop the chinese elm in a few months after it gets a little healthier. Would you say this is a good angle and spot to cut it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191215-074717_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20191215-074717_Photos.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 23

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Since you just started, why not use this a learning tree? Use it to wire and shape branches. Dont worry too much about the funky s shaped trunk. If you do, maybe do less drastic chops? Practice working the roots to improve nebari when it's the repotting time. As you get better, you want to spend more time on better material, and your trees should benefit too.

As for collecting deciduous trees in wild, I'd avoid air layering. Often with Hackberry and Elm, the good base is buried several inches below soil surface. I don't know about Oak or Persimmon.

Ahjuhshi

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Since you just started, why not use this a learning tree? Use it to wire and shape branches. Dont worry too much about the funky s shaped trunk. If you do, maybe do less drastic chops? Practice working the roots to improve nebari when it's the repotting time. As you get better, you want to spend more time on better material, and your trees should benefit too.

As for collecting deciduous trees in wild, I'd avoid air layering. Often with Hackberry and Elm, the good base is buried several inches below soil surface. I don't know about Oak or Persimmon.
This was a tree I ordered online and it doesnt seem to have a solid base to work with (from what I can tell), the branches and growth all seem to be out of whack. I have plans of purchasing a couple more trees to practice on as well. I just dont see what all can be done to help train this tree much.

Top Bottom