New to Bonsai, Japanese Juniper, greetings/advice

DiscoStu

Seed
Reaction score
Had a tree for a while when i was younger, just purchased a new Japanese juniper, got it cheap and sort of always wanted to get back into it. Curious what everyone thought about caring for it, read a few different views on watering and placement. I live in south carolina, so pretty warm, right now i have it outside where it gets sun early and mostly shade later in the day, watering it when it gets dry, every day to every other day right now.'

Got it in the small tray now with a bigger pot ready,but might be too big.

Thanks for reading, glad to be back in the trees

Attachments

• 20140908_143558.jpg
    20140908_143558.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 20140908_143618.jpg
    20140908_143618.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 20140908_143632.jpg
    20140908_143632.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cute little starter juniper.
You need to decide what you want to do with this little guy.
Do you like it pretty much the way it is or would you like it to be bigger.
If you want it to grow alot bigger, realize it will take many, many years.

Yes the pot is too big for it if you want to keep it about as small as it is.
If you want it to grow, a too big pot isnt bad. Dont repot it until next spring and make sure you have a place to overwinter it. It will need dormancy so it will need to be below 40 deg. It wont need much water, but youll still need to make sure it doesnt dry out completely over the winter. There are lots of threads discussing overwintering here.

I suggest you do lots of research and read everything you can get your hands on.
Join a local club. You might also want to get something a bit bigger you can work on now because there isnt a whole lot you can do with that little one right now.

Welcome to Bnut and the addiction.
Good luck

Txhorticulture

Chumono
Reaction score
Vintage video games

Pretty standard little juniper. I too am more impressed with retro game consoles. :)

its ok to use an oversized bonsai pot i think. Just use a good coarse mix and don't water it to much.

Top Bottom